Chapter Four: Far Cry from a Fairytale

My eyes opened in Tehall before it was even light outside. Immediately the smell filled my nostrils uncomfortably. My back hurt from the hay bed, my eyes felt dry, but I wasn't as tired as I usually was in reality. It just felt like I had some sleep at least.

Moving downwards on the bed, I slid over to the ladder and propelled myself down it.

There was a quiet rustle from the animals in the barn accompanying my footsteps as I walked.

My cloak hung on a wooden hook just beside the barn's entrance, the light breeze coming from the bit of space between the two doors allowed it to flutter. I gripped the cool fabric and pulled it over my shoulders. It just reached my ankles but those were hidden beneath my dress anyway. 

I pushed open the large wooden doors that created such a noise I wanted to throw my hands over my ears. Once I had pushed them open enough to allow my body to pass through, I slipped out into the cool, dewy morning.

My feet mashed into the wet ground and I quickly took a step forward, onto the less squishy grass. The boots I was wearing were now covered in a mud film that went halfway up the leather boots. They were Peter's when he was 13 and they only now fit me. I had tiny feet while Peter had very large ones and had grown quite quickly out of these boots.

The scent of the air in the dark morning was to die for in Tehall. The smell of grass, freshness, and no pollution- it was perfect.

Sure, Tehall had its benefits like this one but the real world was exactly that- real. I could live my own life and make my own decisions, and have Internet. And a lifetime supply of books and learning and everything at my fingertips. I could do anything I wanted. Here I was restricted to a life of cleaning and taking care of whatever husband Mrs. White provided me with.

Vaguely, as I watched the sun start to peak its head through the bottom of the trees, I wondered again how I of all people made my way here. I certainly didn't step into any wardrobe and into another land; I simply closed my eyes and opened them here. Could it be just that? A simple brainwave that connected me to here? I'd seen myself in a mirror and it wasn't as if I was possessing someones body here, I was Caroline. I was me. It still baffled me. There was no way Tehall and all its surroundings were a dream.

"What are you doing?"

A small yelp slipped its way out of my mouth as a voice awakened me from my daydream. I spun around with a hand on my heart, staring straight into an amused pair of blue eyes.

"Peter, you scared me!" I exclaimed as I calmed my jumping heart.

"Oh did I? You scared me, standing in that cloak of yours. It is barely even light out, what are you doing up?" he questioned me further, raising his eyebrows expectantly.

Truth was that I had gone to bed earlier in reality which sometimes allowed me to wake up earlier here. But usually I got woken up by the rooster.

"I, uh, woke up early. I just thought I'd take a walk before getting to my chores." I motioned towards the village path that was to the left of me. I had just reached that thought now but I had been planning to talk to Peter. This gave me the perfect chance as I knew he wouldn't turn down a walk.

"Mind if I join you, fair lady?" He took an extravagant bow then looked up at me through his thick lashes, an arrogant grin lighting up his features.

"Come on, then." I began to walk down the path. Peter chuckled then quickly caught up to me with two long strides.

"You realize if someone sees us by ourselves we may as well signed our own death warrant," Peter said offhandedly. My gaze lifted to meet his, and as usual, he seemed amused. As if having a death warrant out for us excited him. I didn't doubt it.