Chapter Ten: How'd it feel?

thanks so much to someclevername for the awesomely awesome banner to the side>>> 

*****

Chapter Ten: How’d if feel?

Malcolm

“Why are we here?” Anna whispered at my side. She inched closer to me as we made our way down the seedy area of town. I knew exactly who to look for, but she seemed more scared than I ever expected her too. 

“Have you never been to this side of town?” I asked her, raising my eyebrows.

“No, and I never planned on coming here either,” She whispered hurriedly as she pushed right up against my side, squashing herself into me. My heart jumped ever so slightly but I ignored the feeling and continued walking forwards.

“Malcolm,” She hissed into my ear. “Tell me where we’re going or I cut your balls off.”

“I vaguely remember getting arrested yesterday, so you better shut up Anna. It’s not like I’d let you get raped,” I snorted, my tone harsher than I had intended. 

“Okay, okay. I get it. You’re mad, but do you really have to take it out on me?” She whined. I stopped and faced her with a quirked eyebrow. She huffed and pouted.

“You are the one who chose that dare,” I reminded her dutifully. 

“Oh shut up,” She grumbled in irritated Anna fashion. 

Grinning to myself, I continued to pull her down the beaten up grungy street. Old, abandoned stores littered the sides of the streets, a few smokers glaring as we passed them. I attached Anna’s hand to my own when I saw a group of guys giving her a look. She shrunk closer to my side and whimpered quietly when one of the guys took a step forward. He nodded respectively at me before turning back to the group of his friends. I was only half sure I knew them from school, but they were taken out of context, not in front of lockers. More people respected me at school for a few reasons. One was that I wasn’t a douche-bag, the other being I was basically friends with everyone. People had no reasons to dislike me, unless you were a popular dick who considered me a nerd. Which I wasn’t. I guess.

Daniel Gregory was a big influence on the popular crowd and one event in particular changed my judgement of him. It was grade nine gym-you had to take it in grade nine- and we were in the change room after class. I, being a larger nerd back then, went to the only bathroom stall to change. I was a little self-conscious of my body back then. 

As I had just took off my gym shorts, the stall door was kicked open and there stood Dan with an evil glint in his eye. He grabbed my pants out of my hand that I had planned to change into and ran out into the main change room area- shouting about the nerd not having pants. I’d never been so embarrassed in my life- and trust me, I was embarrassed quite easily. 

So ever since then, I’ve sincerely thought Daniel Gregory was a douche. I’ve also had to deal with the fact that Anna is incredibly obsessed with him. There’s nothing I could do to stop that now- he’s going to have to ruin her himself.

Seeing the shopping cart I had been looking for, I stopped in my tracks and grinned at Anna evilly. 

“What…?” She asked hesitantly, seeing the look on my face obviously. 

“Here’s your dare. Steal that shopping cart from that homeless guy,” I shrugged, like it was no big deal. Her jaw dropped and her eyes widened considerably.

“No. No way! That’s all his possessions! That’s impossibly unfair! I could get-”

“Arrested? Oh, I know.”