Heavy Words (3)

"Hurry up!" I yelled at Braydon as he stopped at a stop sign. My hands were shaking and my forehead was breaking out in a sweat. If I wasn't home within five minutes, I'm sure my dad would do something horrible when I did get home.

"Amelia, I have to stop at the stop sign. Kind of the purpose-" He said but I cut him off.

"Shut up! Just get me home faster!" I shouted with a pleading tone to my voice.

I saw my house appear up the street and my nerves picked up instantly. As soon as Braydon was in front of my house I jumped out of the car and threw my bag over my shoulder.

"Hey!" I heard Braydon call over the roar of his car's engine, but I ignored it as I bolted it up my front steps.

My breathing hitched when I noticed the door was already open. I pushed it with my index finger and it opened with a loud squeak. I winced at the noise and quickly walked in, shutting the door behind me quickly. The house was eerily quiet. I tried hard to catch any sound but the only thing I could hear was the howling of the wind as it hit our house. Shivers ran up my spine as I began to sweat more.

I took a step into my house, looking into the living room as I did so. Nothing. I did notice a bottle of gin which was still full on the dirty old couch. The couch brought back unwanted memories; times where my dad was extremely violent. I shuddered and backed up slightly. I bumped into something hard and jumped, biting down on my tongue hard. I spun around quickly to see it was just a wall. My hand fluttered to my chest where my heart was beating louder than I ever thought possible. I turned back around slowly, walking towards the kitchen I felt a wave of relief wash over me as I spotted my dad passed out on the kitchen table. I didn't ask questions as to why he was there, this was pretty much a regular occurrence.

"Dad?" I whispered too scared to move closer. His head moved slightly and he released a grunt from his throat.

"You want to go to bed?" I asked him and his head moved up and down in a nodding motion. I nodded more to myself and shut the light in the kitchen, backing out.

There was a click.

I heard it coming from the front door.

Someone just entered.

I quickly grabbed the nearest weapon, which was an umbrella, and held it between my hands. I walked stealthily towards the door. The person's silhouette could be seen in the dark. They were very tall and lean. I moved closer holding the umbrella high above my head ready to swing.

"Amelia?" The voice said into the dark, the deep raspy-ness created chaos in my stomach. I recognized the voice...

"Braydon!?" I whisper yelled at him. I flicked on the hall light and was astonished to see him staring in front of me, blinking at the bright yellow light. He then glanced around taking in the appearance of the house. The once white walls were yellowed and chipping, the water damage could be seen on the ceiling. The furniture was old, most belonging to ten people before coming into our hands. He simply nodded to himself before letting his eyes fall back onto me.

"What do you want?" I whispered. He ran a quivering hand through his skater hair and shrugged.

"Just making sure you're okay. And that I don't have to call the police...or something." He glanced around once again, keeping his voice low.

"Would you like to take a picture? Show everyone how the poor kid lives! Get out of here, Braydon. And leave me alone." I snapped.

"Huh? What do you mean take...?” He started then it looked like he soaked in the rest of it. His expression suddenly fell flat, his eyes looking sad. "You think I'm like that?"