Your Gravity

this is just a short story (really short) that I wrote when I couldn't sleep one night. It's kind of something different than a lot of my other work, but thanks for reading it anyways:)

******

I lock the windows and my door because I don't want them getting in. I don't want them coming back. 

I check the rooms, under the bed, the shelves in my closet- you're not there.

The monsters are more frequent now because you're not here to protect me from them. They try to come in through the windows- black as night, those fog like visions. 

I am searching for you, but you're not there. My thoughts are like angry wasps in my brain- to violent and irritated to be rational. 

The bathroom. That's where you're hiding, I remember now.   

The bathroom lights are bright; my eyes look even more like blood in the mirror, the darkness beneath them like shadows staining my skin. 

I can't help the shakes that wrack my body. The fact that behind the mirror, you're there. Haunting and taunting me- daring me to make a move. 

I dig my hands into my scalp- tearing at the thoughts that beg me to give in. Give up already. You're pulling me back into you, I can feel it. Every time it's the same. 

No matter how hard I try to throw myself out of your orbit, you're there, begging me to take you back. To give you another try. 

If I do, we both know what's going to happen. 

But I don't want to give into you so easily. I've tried my best to put up a fight. 

You're calling me now. My hand moves towards you without consent. The mirror disappears and is replaced with the gleaming white shelves of the medicine cabinet. You sit there in your plastic bag, white like the freshest snow. You're lonesome in the empty medicine cabinet. I can't afford anything else because of you. 

You're in my grip now, and I'm back in yours. 

I pour you out and take you in. I am pulled back into the world that I can't live without. 

Here I am again: being pulled back into your gravity.

*****