Chapter One

Chapter One

            My feet moved against the cold wet pavement silently and I prayed the location I was told was correct. Sometimes, they got it wrong and I ended up in the wrong side of town with the wrong kinds of people. Not that I couldn’t defend myself. I just didn’t like hurting people rather than monsters.

            Surprisingly it was right where it was supposed to be. Standing by the street corner in its petty little disguise. I could tell by the distinct smell in the air- a definite musk mixed between rubbing alcohol and rotting waste. After a while, my nose could detect it from about a mile away. This one had hidden its scent behind perfumes and a protection spell I’m sure.

            Its costume consisted of a short, tight leather skirt and a top the rose well above its midriff. Its face was decorated in a variety of dark make-up, its lips pursed seductively. It was posing as a streetwalker. Creative.

            From my position across the street, I could tell that it had no idea I was here. The air it was posed so leisurely against the pole- relaxed and prepared to step into any stranger’s car and rip their hearts out. Quite literally.

            I had to do it quick.

            I took off into the shadows of the street and hid behind a car a little ways down from it. There were two options here: 1. Attack it in the open and get the cops called, or 2. Lead it into the alleyway beside the pole it leaned against.

            Easier said than done.

            But I knew its weakness- the smell of blood. The smell of fresh, human blood would send it running right in my direction.

            Pushing myself slowly to my feet, I walked into the alley in the shadows, avoiding looking back at the pole that was only a few feet away from the cold dark alley. I stopped a few feet down and grabbed my dad’s silver knife from my pocket. Pure silver was the only thing that would kill it.

            The knife pierced the skin on my wrist and I held in the sharp inhale threatening to escape my throat. I squeezed around the wound and let my blood drip onto the cement.

            Suddenly, a screech sliced into the quiet night air. The screech of want and lust; bloodlust. In seconds it was on me, throwing me up against a wall, its eyes had turned completely white and its mouth showed thousands of tiny little teeth lining the walls.

            I etched my left foot forward and immediately swung my right foot towards the weak spot under its knee. It bucked backwards on impact. My knife swung towards its arm and it screeched again when the knife burned its skin leaving behind a burnt black wound. It came at me again but I dodged it, swinging around so it had the wall in front of it. I pulled my knife back just as it turned to face me, seeing as I dug the knife into its chest.

            Its mouth opened wide and I covered my ears just in time.

            The screech echoed through the black night- the silver knife seemingly dug deeper into its stark white flesh. The black ooze that erupted from its pores flooded the ground beneath my feet; its body twisted and contorted into a mess of blood and guts until its screech could be heard no more.

            I wiped the sweat off my brow and glanced towards the top of the alley. When it looked like no one was going to show, I picked up my knife from the mess on the floor and wiped it against my raven black trench coat. The monster I just had the pleasure of handing its death too was something called a Skinwalker Demon. It could disguise itself behind a human form to lure its prey and had a heavy craving for human hearts. Unlike other Demons, the Skinwalker was practically powerless once it smelled blood. It went crazy for bloodlust and was easy to kill once it smelled it.