Chapter 17: Trust No One

"Every time you fall asleep, pray the Lord your soul to keep - you've got problems now, my friend.
You can run.
… truth gonna come out someday, it's gonna wipe that smile right off your face, but you can run."

-- "You Can Run," by Adam Jones

~~~~~

Blue

Green sat next to her as their new mission took off.

On the outside, Blue looked perfectly calm.

Internally, she was panicking.

… how do I get out of this??

She felt the knife in her suit that Green had given her.

"This is what we use to kill," he had said. "Now, don't make me do all the hard work, okay?"

Last time she had gotten on a ship like this, she had been unaware and blissfully ignorant.

Now, she was all too aware of what was going on.

Maelstrom knows about the others, and I bet he thinks Green was in on it too.

It sent chills down her spine to think of why Maelstrom had sent them out, despite knowing that information.

And Green expects me to help him kill everyone, even though I've never actually killed.

I can't mess this up.

She remembered what Maelstrom had said: "if things go awry on an assignment, you can always throw him under the bus - or, if he has any sense, HE'LL throw YOU under the bus."

One mistake, one bit of hesitation… and I'm dead, either way.

Either Green will kill me, or Maelstrom will.

Trust no one.

A small part of her wanted to trust Green, but the bigger part got the better of her.

He feels no remorse, and he'd kill you without a second thought. He only brought you here because he needs you.

… unfortunately for him, you only made his situation worse, but he doesn't have to know that.

He doesn't deserve to know.

Looking to her left, she saw a bright pink colored suit - Fuchsia.

Not pink like Pink, but the kind of pink that made your eyes hurt if you stared too long.

As Fuchsia shyly waved at Blue, she only had one thought:

I'll have to kill her eventually.

Across from Blue was a pastel-ish orange colored suit - Sunset.

He seemed to be trying to bore holes into her skull simply by staring at her.

Well, isn't he just a friendly soul? She thought sarcastically.

Finally, the ship rested on Mira HQ - a space station that was currently orbiting the Earth. 

In one week, Blue and Green would either be leaving together, or they'd both be dead.

One week. Seven days to kill 10 other people.

She tried not to think about it too much.

Just focus on acting innocent for now.

They exited the ship after everyone else, letting the people clear out.

Once everyone had gone out of earshot, Green started speaking.