Chapter 42: Anything You'd Like To Confess?

~~~~~

"I'm searching for answers, cause something is not right. I follow the signs, I'm close to the fire."

- "A Dangerous Mind", by Within Temptation

~~~~~

Location: the Skeld, heading home

Red

When they locked the Communication doors, they went a little ways down the hallway to reconvene and think over the situation.

"So..." White muttered, "are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"What are you thinking?"

"... that Silver's probably a b**ch."

"But Green... he was pretty heartless when killing the other crewmates on my last mission," Red thought aloud. "He even had the audacity to fake AFFECTION for the dead at one point..."

His mind flashed back to the past, when Green had framed Brown for Orange's murder.

"Why would I do this? Orange liked me, and I liked him. He was... the first person I was really romantically interested in... I was asleep, and when I woke up - he was just... gone. I'll never see him smile again, never talk with him again, never..."

"You seriously expect us all to believe that sob story?" Brown had scoffed.

"Don't you CARE that he's gone?"

Red felt a wave of guilt for Brown's ejection, but was brought back to the present by White.

"Well, then both of them are b**ches - we're just trying to find out who's the lesser b**ch. Does- does that make any sense?"

"Yeah, it does." Red nodded. "You're getting the same vibes from Silver?"

"Mhm, she's f**king weird. Do you think she's lying about Green?"

"No."

White gave Red a surprised look. "So... Green somehow did something worse than what Silver's done?"

"He blackmailed Blue into helping him," Red replied.

"Is- is that worse than Silver shoving Lavender into lava, trying to frame you and Black for Indigo's death, killing Smalt, killing Lime in Storage while Black watched, and then trapping Black in there while going to kill Pink and Purple?" White pointed out, bringing up everything that happened in the past week.

Red paused. Green never did any of that.

"But Green got so many innocent crewmates killed-"

"-and Silver hasn't?"

White saw Red's expression and sighed. "Look, I get that Green blackmailed Blue into helping him, but that doesn't seem as bad as what Silver's done. Unless Green has done other terrible things in the past, we shouldn't assume that Silver is the victim here."

Red took a deep breath. "That's true. I- I hope Pink will be mentally stable enough to help us soon."

"Well, for now... you have me."

"I know." Red thought for a long moment. "Why- why don't we ask Silver for proof - proof of Green's b**chiness?"

"I doubt she'll have any, but sure."

With that, Red and White walked back to Communications, unlocking the doors and rolling them open to reveal Silver, who was still curled up in the farthest corner of the room.