Chapter 7: We Need To Talk.

Blue and Red both knew that the wire going into the vent was not there before.

Wait. Does that mean Green was stalking us last night?

How else would that have gotten there?

The thought made her blood run cold.

Judging from Red's expression, he was thinking the same thing.

The vents. We never checked those.

That's where he was watching from.

Her blood ran even colder when she realized he might have been waiting for a chance to kill Red.

... so why didn't he?

I mean, I'm in on it, so why not do it in front of me?

Red sighed, turning to Pink to get her input.

Black was staring at Blue, probably wondering why she and Red seemingly knew something.

Blue looked over at Green, who was still standing in the doorway. He gave her a knowing look.

... Well, I guess I underestimated his electrician skills.

So, what else is he unexpectedly good at? Being a lawyer?

"We should check the cafeteria vents," Pink decided, pulling Blue out of her thoughts. "The outage had to be triggered from somewhere."

Blue looked back at the doorway to see that Green had vanished.

As Red and Pink left Electrical, Blue stayed behind for a second to think.

If he had the chance, why not kill Red? He's the leader, so it would damage everyone's morale, right?

So why not?

... Because he's a valuable asset, Blue thought, answering her own question. If he convinces Red of his innocence, then Red has the influence to protect him from the others if things look bad.

If you convince the leader, you convince the loyalists.

Blue suddenly registered a finger tapping on her shoulder, and a concerned Black in front of her, along with Talon.

Blue shook her head. "Sorry, just thinking. Let's go."

She took Talon back, who decided to climb up onto her head for a change.

It's fine, it's not like I have no practice balancing objects on my head or anything.

But she wasn't about to say that to the little guy.

Black and Blue walked back to the cafeteria, stopping once to catch Talon when he fell. He apparently didn't care, because he climbed right back up, as if he was on top of the world.

Green gave her new hat a weird look when they walked in, but didn't say anything.

But when did I care about his opinion?

Everyone was dispersing from the center table. Did we miss something?

Red came up to them. "Ah, there you are. I was just telling everyone to not panic, do their tasks, and stick together - that's about it."

Blue said, "okay, but what about the cafeteria vents?"

"Pink and I are going to look into that."

Good. Blue nodded, and then took out her tablet to look at her task list.

Green, you better not strike today. With everyone on high alert, that's a horrible idea.