Chapter 10: Expendable

Blue

It was quiet hours again. 

And Blue, for the second time, stepped outside her room. She had been so tired that she had actually fallen asleep for a few hours - despite the nightmares.

Blue cursed herself. Green might have already killed someone!

I'm probably too late. I'll probably find Pink's body somewhere in the hallway.

… And then I'll have to decide whether to report her body and seem suspicious, or go back to bed and seem even more suspicious if someone finds out that I'd been awake.

To Blue's gratitude, the lights were all on, and they seemed to be staying on.

It was then when she heard footsteps down the hall. Green? Red?

Hopefully it's Red. I don't feel like getting mad right now.

Thankfully, she was correct, and when she spotted Red peeking around the corner, relief poured over her.

"Again?" He asked, a little bit surprised. "Let me guess - nightmares?"

"Again?" Blue mimicked, narrowing her eyes at him. "Let me guess - checking for malfunctions?"

Red chuckled and said, "correct."

Blue rolled her eyes. 

~~~~~

Green

He was in the vents, listening to Blue's interactions with Red as they headed towards the various stations.

He followed their movements through the vent system, wanting to keep track of them.

… They just HAD to be awake at the prime killing time, didn't they?

Well, this might just get interesting.

He had a plan before, but it was slowly mutating into another, more cunning idea.

Stalk.

Kill.

… then what? The final piece of his new plan wasn't there yet, but it was coming to him slowly.

Green had his targets in mind for the first two stages of his plan. 

Pink and Purple can wait. Pink might figure it out, but she's less dangerous than Orange at the moment.

And Purple is simply expendable.

He rolled his eyes at himself. Well, yeah, but so is everyone else. Everyone is expendable.

If you die, you get replaced. That's how the world works.

From the vent openings, Green heard Blue's voice ask Red, "so, how is your son?"

Ha, like you care about them.

You shouldn't, at least.

Not if I'm going to take you back with me.

"Well, Wren is having fun with Talon - he's told me all about it," Red said. From what Green could tell, he was really proud of his child.

Blah blah blah, we get it, you love your kid. You're a father, it's what you do.

But since when did Blue care about Red's kid?

Oh, right, he reminded himself. It's because Red's son and Talon are close.

Green rolled his eyes, knowing that they weren't suspecting a thing. 

He was safe... For now.

With that in mind, he quietly crawled through the vent to enter phase 2 of his new plan.

After entering the security room, Green opened up the cameras to see Red and Blue heading for Oxygen.

Perfect.

Green quietly exited the room and headed for his bedroom, which he just so happened to share with Orange.

He now had his plan completely figured out in his head, with the third and final phase finally put together.

He just needed to execute the second phase.

Upon entering the bedroom, he silently approached Orange's bed.

"Orange, wake up," Green whispered urgently, assuming a terrified persona.

Orange turned over, blinking sleepily, but when he saw Green's urgency, he woke up a little more. "What is it?"

"I-I saw them! The imposters!"

"What? Who?" 

"Red and Blue," Green whispered. "They're looking for someone to kill, we need to go to cams to try to find and stop them!"

Orange immediately sat up, his eyes wide. "Red and Blue? It's been them all along?"

"Yes," he said, making an act of glancing fearfully behind him. "We need to go, now."

Orange quickly masked his fear with weak determination - a pathetic act, really - and said, "okay... let's go."

That's it... That's it. Just come with me.

Green quickly grabbed Orange's wrist, trying not to cringe at the human contact. Orange, on the other hand, did not seem opposed to the idea of physical contact, because he gripped onto Green's arm like a lifeline as they entered the hallway.

This is almost like leading a lamb to the slaughter.

Too easy.

Green decided to let Orange cling to him, because, after all... why would you refuse someone if they're about to die?

He walked Orange into the security room, and Orange approached the cameras as Green closed and locked the door behind them.

Orange looked at the cameras, where Red and Blue were clearly visible in Navigation, minding their own business.

That's it. Notice, Green thought as he quietly and slowly approached Orange from behind.

"Wait, what are they doing that's suspicious?" He asked.

"Nothing," Green answered. "Nothing at all. They're not the guilty ones, after all."

"Wait," Orange said slowly, the gears in his head turning.

He looked up at Green with fear.

And... Red and Blue are still in Navigation.

Won't be leaving anytime soon, from the looks of it.

Perfect.

Green took a slow step toward Orange. "What?" He asked innocently.

"Green," Orange said cautiously, backing up towards the cameras again. "You're scaring me..."

Green smiled. "That's the point."

He took out a knife, and Orange's eyes went wider than ever. 

"You're too observant," Green said quietly, still keeping up his innocent eyes and persona. 

Orange stumbled back, cowering on the floor as Green advanced.

He continued, "you're too observant for your own good - you would have figured me out before anyone else. Also, you're... how exactly do I put this..."

Orange was now pressed against the furthest corner of the room, frozen in fear.

Green leaned down, his innocent persona melting away to finally reveal his true colors.

"You're... expendable."

The last things Orange saw were Green's cold, malicious black eyes.