Chapter 5: Should I Take That As A Compliment?

Blue

After her little emotion episode, Blue had fallen asleep. 

Her sleep was filled with nightmares featuring (and starring) Cyan's dead body, and Yellow's terrified, betrayed eyes.

After the nightmare morphed into her parents chasing her through hallways, she finally jumped awake.

It was dark, so they were still during quiet hours.

Blue laid still for a long moment, trying to still her breathing.

She knew she wasn't going back to sleep anytime soon after that, so she quietly got up from her bed.

Black was still curled up on her bed, sleeping rather soundly, despite the events of the previous day. 

In that moment, Blue envied her.

She pulled her gaze away from her roommate, and then opened the door, exiting the bedroom.

When the door was closed behind her, Blue wondered what she was doing.

Why am I wanting to walk around during quiet hours? That'll just make me look suspicious, especially if something happens tonight.

Then she noticed that the ship lights were on. Green probably won't dare kill anyone in the light.

If he does, I'll shove him into the chute myself.

She didn't feel confident in her ability to do such a thing, but the thought of it felt empowering.

She tiptoed around the ship, and she saw no one else outside their room but herself.

Blue was alone. At least for one, blissful, mome-

She felt a tap on her shoulder, and the calming feeling of being alone instantly went away.

Turning, she expected to see Green, the murderous wretch, and was ready to glare at his smug face for disturbing the peace, but instead saw Red.

Interesting.

"What are you doing, being awake at this hour?" He asked her. 

"I could ask you the same thing," she shot back.

Red sighed. "I'm checking for any potential malfunctions in the system. Now, what are you doing?" 

"I couldn't sleep because of some nightmares, so I decided to have a nighttime walk to clear my head."

"Nightmares? Can't say I blame you. After yesterday, I don't think any of us are having a good night." 

Blue thought back to when she saw that Black had cried herself to sleep. Yeah. No one is. 

But at least she seems to be sleeping well right now.

… maybe I should try and make nice conversation. That's good, right? 

"Yeah… so, potential malfunctions?"

Red looked relieved for the subject change, and he started walking towards Electrical. Blue followed, since she was actually rather interested in the subject, and also because it was a good distraction.

… and because she wanted to try and exercise her "being nice" skills.

"During the… events, the lights were off, and definitely weren't supposed to be. Since we're out in space, it's good to keep the lights on at all times - but somehow, the lights were malfunctioning, or were simply turned off. I just didn't have time to check the system until now. Also, it's good to check all the systems once in a while, just as a preventative measure."