Chapter 18: Just Another Crewmate

"You'll never know what hit you - won't see me closing in.
I'm gonna make you suffer."

-- "The Devil Within," by Digital Daggers

~~~~~

"Is he dead?"

"No. He slipped away at the last moment, and I accidentally got Indigo. But never fear, I will get him and the others soon."

"I have faith in you, Whirlpool. No one else is as ruthless as you."

"I won't let you down."

"I know you won't. Failure isn't in our blood, after all."

"If all goes as I plan, they'll be dead within three days. Trust me."

~~~~~

Red

"Targeted?" Purple whispered.

"It makes sense," Pink said. "We're the only survivors, so to make sure no one knows what really happened, they have to silence us."

"But Blue faked our deaths - so how do they know we're alive?" Red asked.

There was a long moment of silence.

"Wait - the FBI agent," Pink realized. "The one who dismissed us - he probably works for them. That's how these imposters know."

Red winced, knowing he had brought a whole lot of attention to the situation by having an outburst.

So… no one's coming to save us, and we're being targeted by an imposter. Black held up her tablet with a hopeless expression.

"Unless we somehow save ourselves, that is," Purple proposed, trying to be the optimist. "Somehow…" she trailed off.

"This imposter is definitely on a higher level than Green, though - it wouldn't make sense for an amateur to be sent after us," Pink said. "After all, we're likely too threatening to risk being left alive."

"Boy, I'm flattered," Red muttered.

"Taking a page out of Blue's book, are we?"

Red gave Pink a "seriously?" look, so she left it alone.

"Anyway - we need to stick together at all times. At the very least, let's always be in pairs," Pink said, then continued, "if we plan on making it out alive, we'll need to constantly be on guard. Absolutely no splitting up - this imposter won't pass up any chances to kill us."

"How do you figure?" Red asked.

"Well, Blue mentioned a movement of imposters in her letter - if I'm right in assuming that there's a leader and these imposters are receiving pressure from said leader to kill crewmates, then this imposter has to fulfill their mission, or face major consequences of some sort."

What is she, some sort of detective? 

Well, lucky us, ending up with her.

"Logical - I like it," Red nodded. "All right - so, from here on out, we stick together."

Black nodded.

"United we stand, divided we fall," Purple murmured.

"Oh, and before things get serious in the discussion room: does anyone have any really important info they'd like to share? Any information that would be useful to know about each other?"

Black shook her head, and so did Purple.

Pink hesitated for a split second, but then shook her head as well.