44- Anesthesia

Jerry and Anne were sitting on a chair by Gilbert's side, the latter holding the sleeping boy's hand, anxiously waiting for the test results. In the meantime, she contacted the Lacroixs, updating them on the situation, saying that he was in the hospital and that he was given some medication so that he could rest a bit.

-So... I see the date is going great- Jerry broke the silence, making her chuckle- What were you supposed to do?

-I don't know, it was a surprise.

-Oh, I should've done that with Di, it would've been a lot of fun.

-Well, it wasn't a surprise but, at least, you didn't get sick.

-Yeah, poor guy. I mean, bad luck has to strike pretty badly to get this sick on your first date.

-Yes, here... get him prepped, OR 3- the doctor entered the room, gesturing towards the patient and the other two stood up, looking around as the nurses started taking him away.

-Wait, what? Why are you taking him away?

-We carried out a blood test which showed a high white cell count, which indicates there's an infection, and the abdominal CT confirmed that we have to perform an emergency appendectomy.

-A what?- Jerry asked perplexed as he looked at his unconscious friend being rolled away.

-They are taking his appendix out- Anne clarified.

-And is he going to be okay?

-It's a simple surgery but, if the appendix ruptures it can be deadly. We are going in laparoscopically, which is minimally invasive, meaning we don't have to make a large incision, and so his recovery process will be shorter. It will take around an hour if there are no severe complications. Is any kind of guardian of his' here?

-They are in Halifax- the redhead informed.

-That's alright, I'll make sure nurse Janice contacts them. 

-He's ready for you, doctor- the male nurse appeared at the door.

-See you soon- he nodded politely before leaving.

The siblings stood there for a couple of seconds, processing the information they had received.

---------

Jane, Josie, Tillie, and Ruby were laying on the lounge chairs, their skins slowly turning golden as the sun shone on them. They were by the Gillis' pool, chatting the hours away and occasionally re-applying the sunscreen and putting it on each other's backs, and every twenty minutes, diving into the pool.

-I'm surprised that you are actually hanging out with us, Jose- Ruby said, wiping her face with a towel.

-Same, girl. Noah is stealing you away too much.

-Oh, I'm stealing him away from the guys- she smirked, putting her sunglasses on.

-Yes, girl- Tillie cheered.

-Care to say why you are so invested in him?

-He's a cool guy.

-Cool? He's not exactly a bad guy.

-Hey, there are different types of cool, Tillie- Ruby clarified- Harry Styles is cool and he is definitely not bad.

-I stand corrected.

-Guys, let's go back to the Noah subject- Jane trailed the conversation back to its original course- I think you like him.

-He's hot, who doesn't?