42- Recovery

A/N: Hey guys, I'm so sorry. I'm just having so much trouble getting some inspiration out of my system. I have a small part of the next chapter ready so maybe I won't take like a fortnight to write the next one. Ugh, I'm so sorry! Anyway... Here (finally) goes chapter 42...

One week later...

Matthew Cuthbert was being firmly held by Marilla and Anne, who were helping him walk after so long. Finally, after several weeks, he returned to the comforts of his home in Green Gables. Despite clarifying a thousand times that he shouldn't have too much physical activity for the first couple of days, the doctor had discharged him without a doubt. One risk was that he might have lost his memory but that was quickly discarded the same day he woke up, since he remembered everything- except, of course, the night his heart stopped and the weeks he had spent in a coma.

They took him to the parlor, where he sat in his armchair and smiled widely at the comforts of it since the hospital's mattress wasn't especially soft. Finally reunited, the whole family sat in front of the fire, which clearly hadn't been lit up since the weather was rather hot. Marilla carried on with her embroidery, Jerry ate a sandwich he had grabbed on the way there, and the man started eyeing the newspaper- even though he wouldn't need it, since the redhead was babbling her head off updating him on what had happened.

-... Unluckily, we caught a cold. I actually had a fever, but Gil didn't, so that's good. Oh, then I went on a date with Noah!

-I suppose convincing her wasn't an easy task- he gestured towards his sister.

-I had to beg.

-But, in the end, I reluctantly let her go- Marilla added, pretending to keep a straight face on but being conscious that a smile was creeping up her lips at the sight of her brother intently listening to Anne.

-Luckily, you did. I had a fantastic time. The food at Geronimo's is scrumptious, and Noah is a very interesting guy, so I really enjoyed the company.

-You went to Geronimo's?- she nodded vigorously in reply- Do you have any pictures to show me?

-I was hoping you'd ask for...

The sound of the doorbell interrupted the conversation. Her adoptive mother asked her to go welcome whoever was at the door, giving Jerry some time for him to talk. From the window, she could see some dark curls popping up, which automatically made her features lit up.

-Hey, Gil- she opened the door with a light blush on her cheeks. She received no reply to her greeting as the boy was too busy scanning their surroundings. After checking for the presence of any family, a playful half-smile appeared on his face. He cupped her face in his hands and slowly kissed her.

-Hey, Annie- he finally responded, biting his lip while their foreheads were still together.

-Are you crazy? Marilla would've freaked out if she saw that!- the girl whisper-shouted.

-You make me crazy- he pecked her lips with a silly grin on his face. Even though she wanted to scold him once again, she couldn't help but feel her heart melt at his behavior.

-What are you doing here?

-Okay, so, you know how a week ago this whole thing started?- he scratched his head while the redhead smiled at his nervousness- Well, ever since then, I've been brainstorming a bit, trying to come up with some ideas for... a date, and I finally thought of something that I think you'll like. So... would you like to go on a date with me, Annie? An official date.