22- Part 2: Carrots and Slate-face

Anne stepped into the hallway, all the loudness from the music and her friends' chatter getting more distant. When she closed the door that faced the living room, she sighed, having been overwhelmed by all the noise. She walked towards his room, her heart racing due to her nervousness. She couldn't mess it up again.
As she approached his door, she heard the soft sound of his guitar. He was plucking the strings smoothly, making her smile in delight at the peaceful music. The door was open, so she stopped next to the doorframe, listening to his soft humming on top of the instrument.
He had been doing that for about twenty minutes, and meanwhile, he thought about what Anne had said.

He was sitting on his bed, by Delphine's feet, who was curled up in a ball, cuddling with her fuzzy blanket. Her eyelids were heavy, and though she was trying to stay awake, she fluttered them close and drifted into her sleep. The light snores filled the room, warming the boy's heart. He looked at her with a toothless smile and passed his hands through her messy curls.  Anne was already standing by his door, smiling at the scene.

-It was beautiful- she said softly, her arms crossed in front of her.

-Anne, look, I've been thinking and...

-Wait, let me talk, I want to try this again. And don't interrupt me until I'm done because I kind of thought this speech through in the porch and I'm not willing to mess it up again.
I owe you infinite things. A 'thank you' and, not one, but two apologies, maybe even more.
So, first thing. Thank you, for standing up for me, for forgiving me even when I'm constantly messing it up, and for sticking around and not pitting me for being an orphan with pretty much no childhood.
Then, secondly, I'm sorry for how I treated you the other day, for accusing you some minutes ago, for hurting you. And you are right, I don't like being helped. I grew up alone. Until I was eleven years old, the only thing I had was myself. I jumped from one foster home to the other and always ended up being kicked out. If I had relied on someone, I probably wouldn't be here now. I only know how to be a hundred percent independent because that's the way I was forced to grow up. It's nothing against you, really.
I know this is no excuse. I've made a mistake and I was selfish, and there's no reason valid enough. So, I understand if you don't want to forgive me or if you don't want to hang out with me anymore. But before that, I want to make clear that I didn't mean it... What I said the other day about you going to London. I'm going to miss you like hell, and it won't be the same without you here.

-Now can I talk?

-Yeah- she said nervously.

-I'm sorry too. I've been acting like a jerk. I got caught up in my thing and I didn't even ask how you were.

A grin crept up her lips as she threw herself into his arms, hugging him tightly. He chuckled at her sudden reaction.

-I'll take that as an apology accepted.

-Truce?

-T-R-U-C-E- he shook her hand with a crooked smile.

-Moody would've gotten that wrong.

-He would've- they both laughed lightly- I'll miss you, Shirley, you know that right?- he put her hand on top of hers, the smile still drawn on his face.

-I'll miss you too...And thank you... for the Billy thing- she said softly, intertwining her fingers with his'.

-It was no trouble, really. I'm just worried about you.

-It's fine, I've been through worse situations.

-Well, if you ever want to talk, I'm here. Or in London, but we can FaceTime.

-Oh, we will FaceTime, no matter if I want to talk about this or not.

-Of course, Shirley.

They both stayed in that same position for some minutes, looking into each other's eyes for way longer than what "just friends" would. They would never admit it, though.