32

I slowly looked around me. A line had formed, and every pillar was kneeling for this unknown man.

"It's of our utmost honor to be in your presence Master Oyakata." The scarred man said which made Oykata smile.

"Thank you, Sanemi." He responded and sat down towards the edge of the house, that stood in front of us.

His name is Sanemi then. I mentally noted and looked over towards Tanjirou who had his face shoved in the ground.

As much as I wanted to tell them to treat him better, I knew that would only end in vain. Instead, I silently watched as Sanemi began to explain what rules Tanjirou had violated.

"I see, I apologize for surprising you all but I have already permitted Tanjirou to stay with Nezuko." Master Oyakata said which surprised everyone, including myself.

"I have been made aware of Tanjirou's actions, as well as Y/N's." He continued and then gave them a kind smile. "I want you to accept them."

I felt my jaw fall open in shock. I honestly had expected him to be against us, likely even throw us out, but we got the exact opposite.

"Ah even though you say to do so, I am reluctant.." The crying pillar said and shook his head disagreeing.

Many complaints were followed and I slowly looked over towards Tanjirou who was gazing right back at me. I forced a smile and gave him a hidden thumbs up before turning back to Master Oykata, who was gesturing for a letter.

"We received a letter from former pillar Urokodaki Sakonji." The small girl said and opened the paper. "I will read it to you all."

"—Please forgive Tanjirou for being with a demon. Nezuko has a tenacious spirit and she retains some human reasoning. Even when she's hurt or starving she doesn't eat humans, and she has stayed that way for more than two years. You may find this sudden and difficult to believe but this is the unmistaken truth. If by any chance Nezuko does end up harming a human Tanjirou Kamado, Y/N L/N, Giyuu Tomioka and I will take their own lives as an apology."

The last part had me nodding in agreement and I once again looked over to Tanjirou with a smile.

I promised i'd to stay by your side, so I will also follow you in your footsteps.

When the boy looked back at me tears formed in his eyes.

"Who the hell cares if they take their lives—" Sanemi cut in. "There is no guarantee she won't attack, someone."

The man with the bright orange hair nodded in agreement. "Shinazugawa is correct! There is no way to bring back a stolen life."

"That is true." The master said. "You can't prove she won't take a life, but you also cant prove she will."

"The truth is that Nezuko hasn't eaten a human for more than two years, and because of her three people are putting their lives on the line." The man said and picked up the letter. "The deniers have to present something more than what is in this letter."

I could feel just how angry Sanemi was becoming beside me.

"Besides, both Tanjirou and Y/N have come in contact with Kibutsuji."

Every pillar immediately perked up and turned towards us in shock.

"N-No way?! These kids did?!"
"Hey what did he look like—!"
"Did you fight him?!"

They began to question us over and over and I blinked at them in confusion.

"A-Ah well—" I stuttered but stopped when Master Oykata put a finger towards his lips.