Day Thirty-One

"So fourth year of the Halloween Heist. Four years ago, Jay won, Zane won the year after and last year Cole won," Lloyd explains. "This year we are playing for this."

Lloyd holds up a silver necklace with two hearts linked together at the end of the chain. Seliel blinks from her place on Cole's lap.

"Is that-"

"Maria's necklace, and since she's refusing to play this year, she's in charge of hiding it."

Maria takes her necklace and goes out of the room.

"We're gonna start at ten and whoever has the necklace at midnight wins."

𝟭𝟬:𝟬𝟬𝗽𝗺
"The necklace is locked in this box," Maria holds up a small pink box. "And it can only be opened with this key." She holds up a small silver key with a small heart engraved in it. "As you know, whoever has the necklace at midnight wins."

Maria places the key she was holding on the top of the box.

"Maria loves puzzles right?" Skylor asks, dragging Pixal and Seliel into their room, so they can plan in private.

"Yes, she does," Pixal replies.

"Meaning, this won't be as simple as she's making it out to be," Seliel adds.

"I know where we can start looking."

Skylor drags Pixal to Maria's room. She walks over to the computer setup Maria has and rummages around in the drawers.

"She talked about having to record something earlier today and she's already done it, which makes me think there is a clue in here."

Pixal opens the other drawer and rummages around Maria's notebooks with Seliel's Skylor pulls out the small silver key.

They put everything back in the drawers and Skylor drags Pixal and Seliel out of the room.

The vent above that leads into Maria's room opens as Nya pokes her head out. She goes to the drawer and rummages to the place where the key was found. Nya grabs her walky-talky and turns it on.

"They fell for it."

There's some static before Lloyd replies. "That's great, now we need to get back to the box."

Nya climbs back into the vent and crawls back into the bathroom in the far left of the Bounty. Nya hops out of the vent and drops onto the floor. Lloyd is stood waiting for her. Lloyd holds up the key which he got from Maria's drawers.

"They have the key that was originally on the box, the fake one."

𝟭𝟬:𝟭𝟱𝗽𝗺
Jay smirks from outside of the bathroom. He quietly runs back to his and Cole's room. He walks in, shuts the door and turns to Cole.

"They swapped the keys out."

"Hmm...that's smart, but this fell out of her gi," Cole holds up another silver key.

Jay snatched it and examines it.

"This can't be the key."

"Maria's smart, she's probably made fake keys to throw us off," Cole says.

"Probably."

𝟭𝟬:𝟰𝟱𝗽𝗺
"Success!" Kai comes in holding the pink box. "No one saw me."

"You replaced the box right?"

"Yes, the fake box is in the living room.

Kai dumps the box on the desk and heats his hand up, placing it on the lock. Five minutes later, the lock melts and drops off. Zane coats it in ice so nothing gets set on fire.