6

L u k e

I went to the music room as usual during lunch. This time, when I got in there, Calum was already sitting down with a guitar. "Hi, Luke," he said with a small grin.

"Hi, Calum," I replied back. I still didn't get why he was being so nice to me. It was probably a bet or something.

We played a few things until he suggested we do a cover together. "I, uh, I don't know..." I said, my voice trailing off.

"Come on, it'll be fun!" He said. "And you don't have to upload it if you don't want to, after we record it."

I pondered it for a second then realized he had a point. "Alright, fine. What song?"

• • • • •

Me and Sophie were currently walking down the sidewalk to her house. I couldn't help but feel nervous. I mean, I was going to be in a girl's house. Alone with her. This would probably be the most awkward experience of my life.

We finally arrived at an average size two-story house with a small porch. She unlocked the front door with her keys and we stepped inside.

"We can go into the kitchen and get some food if you want," she said. She seemed more nervous now than she was at school, which was weird because at school, people could actually judge us. Here, though, no one was around. That might be even worse.

"O-okay," I said. I need to get rid of this damn stutter, I thought to myself. We made our way out of the front entryway and through the hallways until we reached the kitchen.

"Are chips okay?" She asked as she pulled some out. I nodded and took a seat at the table, putting my backpack on the floor beside me.

She sat down beside me and set the chips on the table in between us. "So Luke," she began, playing with her fingers. "I feel like I barely know you."

I nodded. "Same here." To be honest, I don't know if she even knew my last name.

"Want to play 20 questions?" She asked with a small smile spreading across her face.

"Sure," I shrugged. "You can go first."

"Okay, favorite color?" She said while tucking a piece of her long brown hair behind her ear.

"Blue. What about you?" I replied automatically.

"Purple. Your turn."

• • • • •

"Okay, so you can look up the culture and I'll look up the geography." Sophie said once we were in her room.

I nodded and took out my laptop as she opened hers up. For the next hour, we did some research on France, occasionally making small conversation.

"For the culture, do you think I should put some history of France in it?" I asked. We both turned to look at each other at the same time. I heard her take in a sharp breath. I just noticed how close we were. I studied her eyes, which were a light greenish-brown color with flecks of gold.

I saw her blush a little, which caused some heat to rise to my cheeks and I looked back at the laptop. I typed something to distract myself. "Um, yeah, I think that would be good to put in the presentation." She mumbled.

We went back to normal after a while until I checked the time. "I should get going now," I told Sophie.

She nodded. "Bye Luke, see you tomorrow." She guided me out of the house and waved. I walked home alone, going over that moment with Sophie in my mind.