4

L u k e

I rushed out of the library, feeling embarrassed. I had a partner who was pretty and actually nice to me, and of course it had to be ruined. Now she probably realized how terrible it's going to be having me as a partner and is going to ask to change.

I sighed as I walked to the music room. Why did everything have to be so complicated for me? I can't even just be normal?

I picked up the guitar and began strumming. I picked up an Ed Sheeran song I learned a while back and just played. I finished the song and rested the guitar in my lap. I hung my head and let it fall into my hands. I let out a deep breath.

Clapping could be heard from the back of the room, near the door. My head snapped around quickly. Calum stood there with a grin on his face, applauding me. Me. Calum Hood, captain of the varsity soccer team, was applauding me.

I sat there in shock until I regained my composure. "W-why are you here?" I asked as I put the guitar away.

"Because you're good." He answered simply. "And I don't think you're as bad as everyone thinks."

"Well, thanks. But you wouldn't want to be c-caught talking to me." I warned him as I pushed my glasses a little farther up my nose.

"Too bad." He grinned cheekily. I gave him a weak smile back.

"I, um, I'm gonna go to class now," I said, referring to the bell that had just rang.

"See you tomorrow Luke," he clapped my shoulder as I walked past him and out the door.

• • • • •

The next day during history, I was embarrassed to talk with Sophie. She probably realized what a nerd I was and now Mr. Walker is going to tell us that we aren't working in partners anymore.

"Okay class," Mr. Walker began. Here it comes. "I understand that there have been some problems in the partnerships." He glared pointedly at someone sitting next to the windows. "But I will tell you now, if you and your partner fail to cooperate, you will get an F on this project. Meaning you will fail this semester. So I believe it is in your best interest to act your age and deal with it."

What.

What.

While the rest of us were working with our partners, he called a pair up to his desk and was talking with them. So Sophie didn't complain?

We worked a little bit more on our project. We outlined what we thought we wanted to do and stayed busy until the bell rang. "See ya later Luke," Sophie waved as she gathered her stuff.

"B-bye, Sophie." I said. Dammit, my stuttering is so annoying. She walked out with her friend and I walked to my next class.

• • • • •

By the time fifth hour rolled around, I was anxious to play the guitar. I couldn't stop tapping my fingers on the tables. I wanted to work on my cover.

I briskly walked into the music room, only to find someone already sitting down with a guitar. "C-Calum?" I questioned. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I have lunch this period as well and decided to try what you're doing out." He shrugged.

"Oh, well alright." I said, feeling slightly uncomfortable. I grabbed my usual guitar and sat down a few chairs down from him.

"We should try to play something! Oh, by the way, I saw your covers online." I froze mid-strum.

"W-what?" I nervously stuttered.

"Yeah, I looked you up and saw you had a channel. Not to be creepy or anything, of course. I'm just naturally curious." He gave me a friendly smile.

"O-oh, well alright."

"Yeah, anyways, you were really good. So, I figured I would come down here and play with you a bit since I can also play some guitar." He replied, strumming a chord for good measure.

"Yeah, uh, sure, okay." I nodded. "What do you wanna play?"

"I'm not exactly sure. What kind of music do you listen to?"

Me and Calum bonded over similar music tastes and our guitar playing. He was really easy to talk to, but I didn't know why he was talking to me now after four years of going to the same school.

He was really one of the first few people at this school to go out of his way to be nice to me. We jammed out for a bit until the bell rang. "Hey Luke, do you come here every day?" Calum asked me before I walked out.

"Yeah, why?"

"No reason." And with that, he walked out of the music room.

• • • • •

WE JUST WITNESSED THE BIRTH OF CAKE

HALLELUJAH

AMEN