19

L u k e

The next day, I woke up at 10:30. Glancing at my clock, I slightly panicked. I had been planning to walk to Calum's house, which was a good twenty minutes away. I quickly showered and left my hair to air dry. My wet hair stuck flat against my forehead. I grabbed a pair of blue jeans and a navy blue shirt, my usual style.

I ran downstairs with my beat up Vans in one had and my guitar case in the other. I slipped my shoes on and grabbed an energy bar. "Bye, Mum!" I yelled as I walked out the door.

I arrived at Calum's house a few minutes past 11, which was pretty good timing for me. I knocked a few times and waited for someone to answer the door. After a few seconds, a woman who I assumed was Calum's mom answered the door. "Hello, are you here for Calum?" I just nodded and she gave me a smile. "Come on in. I'm Cal's mom, you can call me Joy."

I shook her hand and returned her smile. "Hi Joy, I'm Luke. It's nice to meet you."

Just then, I heard pounding feet on the staircase. Calum appeared at the bottom with Michael trailing behind him. "Hey Luke," Calum greeted me.

"Well, I'll leave you boys to it. Calum, if you need anything I'll be in my office." Joy left the room and I stood there with Calum and Michael.

"Let's get to it." Calum led the way into his basement. I set my guitar down next to the couch and we sat down.

"Shall we start writing?" Michael suggested and took his own guitar out. His was in even worse shape than mine.

I took mine out as well. Calum's was in the best condition out of the three of us, but even his guitar wasn't looking to great. "I think we might need to get some new instruments before the competition," I stated as we all examined each other's guitars.

Michael chuckled. "Agreed."

For the next hour, we tried to write the verses to Gotta Get Out. It was hard, but we finally managed to get the first verse done.

"Oh my God, I'm starving," I complained as I leaned back on the couch.

"Me too. Let's go get something to eat," Calum suggested and we all headed out.

Michael ended up driving us to the mall, claiming "that's where the best food is." We entered the food court and ended up going to Panda Express.

"So Calum," I smirked. "Someone told me you went on a date last night." It was Calum's turn to feel uncomfortable.

Michael's eyes widened. "Really now?" He placed his hands on the table. "Do tell."

Calum's cheeks turned slightly pink. "Shut up, it was just a date. Stop acting like such girls over it." He chuckled to seem less nervous.

"So what did you guys do?" I pressed on with a cheesy grin.

Calum groaned. "We went bowling! Jesus, can't I keep some things to myself?" Michael and I knew he was joking and we all began to laugh.

"Let's get back. We still have half a song to write," Michael suggested as we stood up to throw out our food.

Along the way home, Michael pulled into the parking lot of a convenient store. "What are we doing?" I asked. Calum and I exchanged looks. He was just as confused as I was.

"I want to get some different hair dye. This red has been in since the end of summer vacation," Michael responded as he stepped out of the car. "You guys are gonna help me choose."

We walked inside the store and Michael led us over to the hair dye aisle. We looked at all the shelves of different colored dye, not able to decide on just one.

"Are you going to do just your fringe like you did this time, or your whole head?" Calum asked as he browsed through the boxes.

"It depends on the color, I guess."

"Hey Michael, is that your natural hair color?" I asked curiously and motioned to his black hair.

He shook his head. "No, my normal hair color is light brown."

We continued to look through until I picked a crazy option out. "Hey Michael, what do you think about this?" I asked, handing him the box.

He glanced at the color. "So manly, Luke," he replied sarcastically.

"What?" Calum said as he walked over.

"Luke thinks I should dye my hair pink."

Calum shrugged. "Why not? If you don't like it, you can always change it."

Michael shook his head. "Nah, too risky right now. I can't go bald before the competition!"

We finally decided on dyeing Michael's fringe a light green color. We paid for the hair dye and exited the shop.

When we got back to Calum's house, we ran straight to Calum's bathroom. "I hope I don't ruin my hair like that awful bleach blonde I had three years ago," Michael said as he tore the box open with a grin. Honestly, right now he reminded me of a little kid on Christmas morning. It was quite funny.

Calum read the directions and got everything ready to dye Michael's hair. "Hopefully I don't dye your whole head green!" Calum said cheerfully as he applied the dye to Michael's hair.

"I swear, if you fuck this up-" Michael began but was interrupted by Calum.

"C'mon man, I helped you last time and the red looked fine. I'm the master at dyeing fringes." Calum smirked. He looked over in my direction. "Hey Luke, have you ever thought of dying your fringe?"

I shook my head quickly. "No thanks." Calum chuckled and continued to dye Michael's hair.

• • • • •

AWWwwWWwW SOME BONDING TIME HOW CUTE