26

S o p h i e

Winter melted into spring, and soon it was April. I woke up in the morning for school, did my usual routine, and headed downstairs for breakfast.

"Hey Mom," I greeted her as she slid over a plate of eggs.

"Morning sweetie. Oh, I have some news," she said while looking at me warily.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Good or bad?"

She hesitated a bit. "Depends on how you look at it." My mom took a deep breath before saying, "You remember that job promotion I told you about? The one in Florida?"

I nodded and took another bite of my eggs. She was making me anxious.

"Right, well... I didn't get it."

At first, I was extremely happy. This means we don't have to move! Then I looked at her facial expression closer and realized that she was upset she didn't get it. "Oh, I'm sorry Mom." I walked around to where she was leaning against the table and gave her a hug.

"It's okay honey, I just wish I was able to give you a little more. You know it's been tough since your dad walked out..." She trailed off, thinking of my father.

"Mom, never feel like you have to give me more than I already have. I'm fine, we're fine, and it's not a big deal," I tried to comfort her.

She shook her head and smiled a bit. "Yeah, you're right. Sorry Soph," she rubbed my shoulder. "Alright, well you should leave soon. Have a good day at school."

I kissed her cheek and said goodbye, before leaving the house. I walked down the street in silence, admiring all the trees that were beginning to grow leaves again.

I reached the corner of my street and looked to my right to see Luke walking up his street. I smiled subconsciously and waited for him. "Hey," I said as he walked up beside me and kissed my cheek.

"Hi," he replied simply and smiled. He took my hand in his and we began to walk down the street again towards school.

We talked about little things and he swung our hands back and forth. I felt truly happy with Luke.

"Look, it's the nerds!" Tyler yelled out as Luke and I entered the building. "Luke, why don't you sing us something?" He taunted. I flipped him off as we passed, but Luke just looked down and walked faster.

I squeezed his hand. "Hey, are you okay?"

He sighed and nodded. "I'm fine." He glanced over at me and gave me a small smile.

The day went by slowly, and I was counting the minutes until it ended. Lunch was a nice break, but I dreaded going back to classes.

"So Al," I glanced at my best friend. "How are you and Calum?"

Her face brightened at the mention of his name. "Good, yeah we're really good. You and Luke?"

I smiled. "Couldn't be better."

We continued to make casual conversation until she asked me something that made me a bit uncomfortable. "What ever happened with you and Brandon? I mean, you guys went to the dance together, everyone kind of expected you to date."

I sighed and shrugged. "He's a dick, to be blunt about it."

"Ah, he's one of those," she said with raised eyebrows.

I chuckled and nodded. "I just wish he wouldn't talk to me anymore. He's gotten so clingy and I hate him, I want to tell him but I can't hurt his feelings."

Allie shook her head. "You're always too nice."

I shrugged and stood up to use the restroom. "I'll be right back," I turned around and was met with sad blue eyes. "Luke?"

"Is that really how you feel?" He asked, defeated.

"What? No, I-"

"Save it," he laughed bitterly. "I knew it was all too good to be true. I hope I wasn't being too 'clingy', sorry that you hate me."

I stared at him in shock. "Luke,-"

"No. It doesn't even matter. I hope you're happy now." With that, he turned around and left the cafeteria.

What. The. Fuck.

I turned around and stared at Allie in shock. "What just happened?"

She grimaced. "He thought you were talking about him when you were talking about Brandon."

It all clicked into place. He had always been insecure, I'm sure. All that bullying for the past few years had definitely not helped his self esteem.

He was fragile, and I had just broken him.

"I'll text you later, I need to find Luke," I explained hurriedly to Allie as I grabbed my bag. She nodded in understanding and I left the cafeteria, looking for Luke.

• • • • •

DAMMIT SOPHIE WHY YOU GOTTA BE LIKE THAT

POOR LUKEY :-(

thanks for reading!!
-a