Hadestown

When Hermes started looking after Orpheus. Orpheus, aged 6.

Orpheus gripped onto his mother's hand tightly, his head down as the wind came at them harshly. He coughed into his elbow and his mother, Calliope, sighed, scooping him up. "It's okay, Orph," she whispered quietly into his ear. Orpheus shook his head desperately, gripping onto her. "I don't wanna leave you, mama," he mumbled into her shoulder, whimpering softly.

Calliope sighed and held him closer when it started to snow. "You're going to be safer and happier!" She promised, hugging him as they got to Hermes' bar. "It's going to be okay, Orpheus. I promise. Mama loves you so much." She kissed the top of his head. He blinked and, like that, she was.. gone. He looked around wildly, tears starting to trickle down his cheeks. "Mama!" He cried.

The bar was shut for the night and Orpheus was too scared and shy to knock. He curled up on the doorstep, pulling his coat and scarf tighter around his shivering frame. The poor boy was freezing. He cried for his mother inbetween coughs and sneezes. He didn't sleep well that night, if he even slept at all. He wasn't sure.

Hermes got up to open the bar. He was completely shocked when he opened the door and saw a shivering and shaking six year old. "Kid?" He spoked softly, bending down to look at him. Orpheus squeaked. "Are you mister Hermes? My mama said you'd look after me..," he whispered, looking down and cried softly. Hermes nodded and picked him up. "Those damn muses. Calliope.. What will I do with you?" He whispered quietly.

He brought Orpheus inside, sitting him down by the fire. He went to go and grab Orpheus a dry and warm pair of clothes. When he was gone, Orpheus brought out a red flower from his pocket. He had seen it on the railroad track. He played with the petals, but was careful not to break it apart. He brought it to his chest as if hugging it.

Hermes came downstairs and and scooped up the poor boy (causing him to yelp but quickly being reassured by Hermes), wrapping him up in a blanket and walking behind the bar. Orpheus was too tired and achy to protest. His mama said he could trust Hermes so that's exactly what he was doing.

Once there was a bit more privacy, Hermes undressed Orpheus before getting him into the warm clothes. The content look on Orpheus' face was enough to tell Hermes that he'd be okay. The old man smiled before remembering something. He went to a closet and pulled out a red bandana. "This was your mama's," he told him before tying it around his neck. "There you go."

Orpheus grinned happily before sneezing into his elbow. "Mister Hermes, I feel sick," the young boy whined unhappily. Hermes nodded, shaking his head. "I'm not surprised. You spend all night in the freezing cold and snow. Come on. You'll be feeling better in no time," he promised and kissed his forehead.

Calliope had trusted Hermes to look after her son. And Gods above, that's exactly what Hermes was going to do.