Chapter Twelve

Before they went to forgotten valley, the gang settled down to camp. Katara lay on Appa's saddle, wrapped in a blanket with Momo, Aang lay on Appa's legs, taking the first watch over Azula who was lying against a tree root again.

    Sokka lay by the fire for a bit, unable to sleep right away. He looked at the sleeping figure of Zuko across the camp. Something was bothering him, that was for sure. Whatever it was didn't seem to bother him as much as when he was in the palace though which was good. He sighed at the memories of the palace, returning his gaze to the fire.

    It seemed like they were friends again. Zuko was talking to him and he was talking to Zuko. But he wanted more, it was obvious to him now. He wanted to hug and kiss him, hold his hand, mumble sweet nothings into his ear. He even wanted to-

    No. No. Not allowed. He shook his head, failing to rid his mind of the thoughts. Staring at Zuko, he bit his lip, trying to distract himself with pain.

    "I should just sleep..." Sokka mumbled to himself, making his way over to Appa to get his blanket.

    Aang nodded at him as he pulled the blanket down. He returned the gesture and then glanced at his sister. She looked comfy.

    He lay down, wrapping himself in his blanket he stared across at Zuko still. He hadn't moved. God, why couldn't he sleep?! Normally it would come so easily. The thoughts came back and now he was just uncomfortable. He turned around and squeezed his eyes shut. Please sleep.

_

    Zuko woke up in the middle of the night. He sat up groggily, looking around. He noticed Sokka bundled in blankets and Katara watching Azula. Sleep didn't seem like it was coming back, so he walked over to Katara who was nodding off despite being on watch. She looked up at him as he approached. He gave her a soft smile and she returned it with a grateful one, moving to go back to her sleeping position on Appa.

    He took his seat where Katara had been, keeping his focus on his sister. She seemed to be in a deep sleep so he let his mind wander. His thoughts mostly revolved around his mother, but every now and then he would start to ponder the situation with Sokka. Subconsciously, he glanced over at the water tribe boy.

    His mind wandered into a daydream. He walked along the turtle duck pond, admiring the fluffy little creatures swimming about in the water. A noise from across the garden drew his attention. He looked over to see Sokka, watering some flowers and calling over to him. He walked over to the water tribe boy and pulled him in by the waist, hugging his figure to his side. Sokka laughed softly, then gave him a little kiss on his cheek, whispering something into his ear.

    "Zuko."

    "Zuko!"

    "Hey, Zuko!"

    His mind was ripped out of the daydream, his eyes searching the dark atmosphere for the source of the voice. It was Sokka. He noticed that the Firelord had come out of his trance and laughed quietly, taking a seat beside him.

    "Daydreaming... Sorry." Zuko muttered, his cheeks flushing.

    "More like night dreaming but, you know... You're not asleep." Sokka chuckled.

    "Did I wake you up?" Zuko asked softly, looking over at the water tribe boy.

    "Nah, I wasn't really sleeping in the first place."

    "Oh?"

    "Yeah, I was too busy thinking of... Stuff."

    "Stuff?" Zuko smirked.