Chapter Twenty six

"Zuko!" He called, a few meters away. It felt like it was taking years just to reach him.

    Zuko spun around immediately, his expression dropping when he saw Sokka and then his eyes lit up. He started off towards the water tribe boy himself and they met halfway.

    Despite the fact that he so desperately wanted to hug and kiss his boyfriend right then and there, they were surrounded by people. He glanced at the protesters behind the gates. People who wouldn't approve. They could manage a hug though...

    Arms wrapping around each other, Zuko breathed for what felt like the first time in weeks. Sokka's warm body pressed against his, his soft scent mixed with the icy air of the South. He almost cried out of pure comfort.

     "I missed you so much..." Zuko muttered, holding him even closer.

    "I missed you too," Sokka smiled, just trying to enjoy the moment that he knew they'd have to end soon just because they would get weird looks.

     Neither of them wanted to let go. But they did pull away. Looking into Zuko's eyes, Sokka felt everything he'd been repressing. All the stress and the worry didn't even matter anymore, under all of that he just missed him so much. Just having his hands on his waist or looking at his face was enough to take his mind off everything.

    "I really... I really wish I could kiss you right now..." Zuko almost whispered.

    The statement lead Sokka to glance at the Firelord's lips. They hadn't kissed in so long. He wanted to as well. So badly. Sokka nodded in agreement, a daze drifting over his mind. Why couldn't they just be alone right now?

    "Hello, Sokka!" Earth king Kuuei chirped from behind Zuko, Bosco was there too, hugging the king to keep him warm.

    "Thank you for coming! Welcome to the south, Earth king Kuuei!" Sokka grinned, looking to the man over Zuko's shoulder.

    They were a little farther away than either of them wanted. But unfortunately it had to be like that for now. They didn't want to rile up the crowd even more.

    "Are you sure we should be here?" Zuko asked softly, nodding a little to the fence.

    "Don't worry about them," Sokka reassured, starting to walk towards the building where they were having their meeting. "Once they see all the good we're doing, they'll be fine."

.

    In the meeting room, Katara and Aang sat across from each other. They were sharing a small conversation that Toph butted into every now and then but the whole thing stopped when Sokka walked in.

    The water tribe boy had the biggest smile on his face in that moment, Zuko right next to him with a soft one of his own too. Katara breathed a tiny sigh of relief. She was just glad that her brother was happy. Aang shared the expression.

    "What the heck is going on here?" Toph muttered, feeling the water tribe boy's racing heartbeat through her seismic sense. "Did I miss something?"

    No one seemed to hear her, and she quickly ignored the question that she wasn't getting answers to yet. Hakoda started the meeting.

    He explained the plan, they wanted to establish embassies in both the earth kingdom and the fire Nation and vise versa, Zuko was quick to agree, eager to assist them in any way that he could in order to make up for all the horrible things his nation had done.

    "I'm not sure my kingdom can offer up its support so readily," Kuuei spoke up once Zuko had finished. "We're still fixing things up because of the war and as much as I would love to help the South reach civilization, I'm just not sure right now."