Chapter Twenty

Sitting below deck, Sokka grumbled to himself. He didn't want to be smelling fish and he wanted to see Zuko. But he did want to go home... It wasn't like this was his first long distance relationship. He'd done it before. But at least back then he'd gotten to spend a few weeks with Suki as a couple, he'd only spent a few days with Zuko.

His mind flitted to the book and he felt his cheeks heat up again. Katara was above deck being helpful or something, so he reached into his bag and pulled it out. Flipping to the back, he looked over the positions again.

Wasn't it too early to be thinking about that kind of thing though? Like he'd said, they'd only been together for about two weeks and the one week they weren't even together. He huffed again. What he wouldn't do to get the weird pit in his stomach to go away.

Returning his gaze to the pages, he started to zone out...

_

Aang entered the room he'd been guided to. It was kind of strange getting used to the dominating red of the atmosphere after spending his time in the green and cream coloured tea shop. The room had a table in the center with several people surrounding it. When he walked in, Zuko stood up and smiled.

"Aang!" He grabbed his hand to shake. "Glad you could make it, buddy!"

"Zuko!" Aang smiled back.

"You remember-" Zuko gestured to Mai.

"Mai!" Aang waved.

"Hello Aang."

"So how's it going?" Aang asked her softly.

"Well, it could definitely be better, but you being here definitely makes me feel better." Mai sighed.

"Glad to hear."

The rest of the group was introduced to Aang, his eyes widened a bit when Kei Lo was introduced as Mei's boyfriend. He glanced at Zuko who's expression remained unchanged. That was to be expected though... He was with Sokka now.

"Did Sokka and Katara come with you?" Zuko muttered to Aang.

"Oh, no... They really had to go home," Aang sighed. "But hey, I heard about you and Sokka, I'm happy for you buddy!"

"Thanks, Aang." Zuko smiled gratefully.

"You be good to him, ya hear?" Aang nudged him teasingly.

"That's the plan." Zuko chuckled, hiding his disappointment.

"Anyways, what's going on? I'm hearing things about spirits?" Aang turned to the rest of the group.

"Last night my little brother was kidnapped by a group of dark spirits." Mai explained.

"Kidnapped?!" Aang uttered.

"Unfortunately," She looked down. "I fought against them but they got away. They were Kemurikage."

"Who?"

"Dark spirits that haunt the mountains. They're from stories my mother used to tell me."

"There were reports from all over the capital city. But Tom Tom was the only abductee." The constable added, pointing at a map of the fire Nation on the wall.

"Were these reports from-"

"Let go of me! My son has been kidnapped and all you care about is palace protocol?!" Mai's Dad shouted, interrupting Aang.

"Apologies Firelord," One of the guards behind the man turned to Zuko. "We asked him to wait but..."

"It's ok, he's the victim's father, he should be here." Zuko nodded.

"Mai! I knew you'd be here." Her father exclaimed, walking past Zuko.

"Father." She stated.

"This is all your fault. If Tom Tom had been with me, he'd still be here. He'd still be safe," He lectured. "You may hate me, but you know I'm right."

Mai didn't answer him. Her gaze fell to the floor.

"Oh come on! No house is safe from Dark spirits." Kei Lo protested.

"You stay out of this." Mai's Dad growled.

"Everyone calm down," Aang spoke up, stepping between them. "All this arguing isn't going to help us find Tom Tom. We need to figure out what we should do."

"I'll tell you what we should do," Mai's father turned to point at Zuko. "Our Firelord needs to grow a spine. Everyone knows that the spirit world acts up when ours is weak!"

"That's not how it works at all!" Aang reasoned.

"Prove that you're worthy," Mai's Dad jabbed at Zuko. "Declare a curfew and send out an elite force to fight the spirits."

Zuko's expression softened, he looked down, considering the situation.

"If you want, I can organize a task force, Firelord." The constable added.

"A curfew would just make everyone panic! We should try to understand what happened first." Aang declined, touching Zuko's shoulder.

"Aang's right, Zuko." Mai agreed.

"Wise words Avatar," Zuko nodded to Aang. "Constable, please escort Ukano out."

The Constable complied, escorting Mai's father out of the room although he wasn't very compliant. Once the room had been rid of Ukano's incessant protests, the group once again turned to each other. Zuko's expression a little lighter.

_

"Sokka!" Katara's voice broke through her brother's trance.

"AAH!" He slapped the book shut, slipping his thumb in to keep the page. "What?!"

"You're reading? A book?" Katara raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah. I am," He frowned. "What do you want."

"Nothing," She smiled. "Dinner's ready."

With an eager grin, he slipped in a piece of jerky as a bookmark and slid the book under the hammock.

"What are we having?" He asked softly.

"Food."