Chapter Twenty Three

They quickly made their way over to the fire nation ship, Katara warning Sokka of the booby traps and tripwires inside. The light footprints of the two kids were still imprinted on the floor so Sokka instructed to just follow those.

"The footprints only tell you where to put your feet, what about the rest of your body?" Katara asked.

"Have a little faith-" Sokka started before being cut off by a translucent string catching under his chin.

The floor opened up and he fell through, Katara calling after him. He thumped around the chute before it became silent.

"Sokka? Sokka! Are you okay?" She called.

"Yeah, but I don't think I'm the only one down here." He called back.

"Okay, I'm coming!" She yelled down, jumping into the opening.

She slid down a dark shaft before sliding out and colliding with Sokka. They were in a bright open space, almost like a air bubble in an ice pocket.

"I told you to-" Katara started before Sokka hushed her, gesturing to a figure she hadn't acknowledged yet looming over them.

"I think the big guy's got something to say." Sokka muttered to her.

"Greetings, I am Gilak of the southern water tribe," He introduced himself. "You are Katara and Sokka, Hakoda's children."

"Wait a minute, do I know you?" Sokka asked.

"I fought alongside your father, we were brothers in arms," Gilak chuckled. "Hakoda is a hero of the south, and so are you two."

"A briefcase was stolen, we'd like it back." Katara interrupted.

"And a woman was hurt by two children, they need to be taken in." Sokka continued.

"Follow me." Gilak beckoned them, walking through a dimly lit tunnel, completely ignoring their statements.

They walked into another room that was lit by torches. There were around 20 people listening to an old looking man standing on a platform, telling stories.

"What is this?" Katara asked softly.

"A gathering of the patriots," Gilak responded. "That's my second in command, Thod," He gestured to the man on the platform. "He tells our stories, keeping the southern tradition alive."

"So you all gathered in a cave to tell stories?" Katara interjected.

"We do more than that," He sighed. "While travelling, I noticed that the strong nations like the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom were lead by one ruler and sought power over cooperation first when dealing with other nations. Meanwhile us in the Southern water tribe have always been Egalitarian, seeing each other as brothers and sisters. But the Air Nomads who were the most Egalitarian out f everyone were wiped from existence," Katara frowned at that. "So when I heard that your father was going to become head chieftain I was happy. But then he started welcoming foreigners onto our shores including those cowards from the north.

"Hey, careful talking about our sister tribe like that!" Sokka frowned.

"Sister tribe? Yeah right. Where were they when we were sending out troops of our men to fight the fire nation? Hiding behind their icy walls," Gilak pointed out. "Collaboration between the other nations is impossible. For the south to be strong again, we need to eradicate foreign influence. Including that from the north. Such an act will likely result in war, so we've gathered here to prepare."

"I've traveled the world, and from what I've seen, you're wrong," Katara stated. "Where fire nation colonies once resided, the earth citizens and fire nation citizens are working to form new societies!"