Chapter Five

After Zuko had dropped that bomb on Sokka, he disappeared. The water tribe boy figured it'd be useless to go after him so he turned around and walked back to his room. Though he felt kind of down from that whole exchange, he was looking forwards to taking of his makeup.

    Before he reached his room, a hand grabbed his arm and he turned to see Suki. She had an unreadable expression.

    "Sokka," She started before he could greet her. "What's going on with you and Zuko?"

    He gave her a questioning look and then decided to avert the question.

    "Why is everyone asking me that now?" He sighed, trying to hide his nervousness.

    "Answer the question Sokka, I see how he looks at you." Suki reasoned, still holding his arm.

    "How he looks at Meng maybe," He pointed at his face with his free hand. "If I was 'Sokka' he'd treat me like how he treats you. As a friend."

    "Maybe, but what about how you look at him then?"

    "I-" He cut himself off, unsure of what to say. "He... He seems comfortable around me and I just want to make sure he's safe."

    Suki looked at Sokka's expression for a bit before letting his arm go with a sigh.

    "If you like him Sokka, and being with him would make you happy, then it's ok. I'm not going to get mad or anything, you can't help how you feel." Suki said softly, giving him a tiny smile before walking away.

    He stood in the hallway of the palace, watching the spot where she'd just stood. Pondering.

_

    The next day, they moved back to Yu Dao and stayed there for a while. Sokka was restless and anxious for the whole day. Who's side was he even on? Aang's? Or Zuko's?

    But there he stood in his Kyoshi warrior outfit the next day, waiting for the war to begin.

    But the war barely even happened. Aang entered the Avatar state and the two nations began to fight. Sokka couldn't handle it and ran down to help. But by the time he'd made it down there, Zuko was falling into a large separation in the earth.

    "Zuko!"

    The Firelord flew back out with a gust of wind, landing on the side. Aang closed the chasm and landed on the solid earth.

    "Enough!" He shouted, coming out of the avatar state.

    The battle stopped and Sokka finally reached Zuko's side, just as he struggled to his feet.

    "Meng, get out of here, it's dangerous." Zuko ordered, casting her a sideways glance.

    "I'm not leaving you!" Sokka shot back, moving to stand beside him.

    "You'll get hurt!" He turned around now to look at Sokka.

    "I can protect myself!" He replied, subconsciously reaching for his boomerang which wasn't on him.

    Zuko's expression got confused for a split second until his attention was drawn to the battle. He put his arm out in front of Sokka and pulled him behind him.

    He prepared to fight again but when he turned back to the army, the earth kingdom soldiers had backed off.

    "...We need to leave Yu Dao at peace." Aang said, looking at the Earth King who was guiltily looking down.

    "Wait...," Zuko breathed. "So I was right? This whole time... The decision I made... Was right?"

    He collapsed on the ground.