Chapter Twenty seven

"The chi blockers are coming." Aang called.

    Zuko gave Sokka's hand a squeeze before letting go. Both of their hands getting colder.

    Thod whacked Aang while his disciples chi blocked Toph and Katara. Then Thod moved over to Zuko.

    "I must say, I really enjoy this, Ash maker," He sneered, jabbing Zuko. "After all the pain you caused our people, I can't believe Hakoda let you set foot in our land."

    "Hey! He's not like that. And don't call him that, his name's Firelord Zuko." Sokka growled.

    "I don't care." Thod waved him off.

    The girl who'd stolen the briefcase before moved over to Sokka. Whacking him, his expression turned confused.

    "Hey what are you doing? I'm not a bender!" He frowned.

    "You're still a threat." She scowled back.

    "Oof!" He hit the snow. "Gotta admit, I'm kinda flattered!"

    "Are you kids okay?" Hakoda asked as Thod started walking him towards the bridge.

    "Oh yeah, the snow is really soft, we're fine." Sokka smiled.

    Hakoda started walking across the bridge, the earth king on his way over as well. Once they'd reached the middle, what Zuko had said before came to life and Gilak swung his sword down on the bridge supports.

    Before they could be cut however, the blade was knocked away and out of Gilak's hand by a shard of ice. Malina stood beside him in a stance. Toph's metalbending students behind her.

    "Malina and the netalbenders have come out of hiding!" Sokka cheered.

    "Our turn." Toph said, getting up.

    "What is this trickery?!" Thod exclaimed as Katara and Aang bent a swirl of ice around him, blocking his movements.

    "See this chainmail armour?" Sokka boasted, opening his shirt to reveal metal between him and the fabric. "Invented by myself and the students of the Beifong metalbending academy!"

    After taking down Gilak's soldiers, Malina and the three students turned to Gilak himself.

    "Surrender, Gilak." She commanded.

   "To foreigners like you? Never!" He started running down the bridge, torch in hand. "For the tribe!"

    "What do you think you're doing!?" Malina exclaimed, running after him.

    "You won't win today Hakoda!" Gilak shouted, lighting the bridge ropes on fire.

    "Zuko!" Katara turned to the Firelord, pointing to the bridge.

    "I'm on it!" He nodded, racing down the bridge.

    Malina struggled, trying to keep Gilak from burning more if the bridge. Suddenly the torch and the burning part of the bridge went out, they turned to see Zuko.

    "Just in time."

    However, the now weak rope snapped and the bridge broke, swinging down with the group clinging on.

   "Dad!" Katara shouted.

    "Zuko!" Sokka yelled, running to the edge and looking down.

    Zuko flew up, earth king Kuuei holding onto him for dear life. He plopped him on the edge and turned back to the cliff.

    "One down, three to go." He breathed.

    "You can't go back down there," Sokka protested, grabbing his arm. "That bridge isn't going to hold for very long and your weight will only make it worse."