Thirty-Three

23 Weeks

"Hi." Nika falls against Skye's lap, wrapping her little arms around Skye's neck. Her team had won their first three sets, giving them a break for an hour or two before they played the next round of games for the tournament.

"Good job. You've gotten so good at this game over the last year. I am very, very proud of you, Punk Princess." Skye smiles, placing a soft kiss to Nika's cheek.

"I love it so much." Nika grins, taking the sports drink Calum hands her.

"We can tell, and we love watching you play the game you love with your whole heart." Calum smiles, "Do you want some food before the next round of games?"

"Yes please." Nika nods.

"They had like a burger and fries place, or chicken, or sandwiches, or ice cream." Skye smiles.

"I think I want a sandwich. Fries and stuff seem too much if I'm gonna play again."

"Why don't I go get you some lunch, you and mom can stay here so you can rest between games." Calum offers, standing when Nika nods in approval of his plan.

"So who was that lady?" Nika asks Skye after a few minutes, still cuddled on Skye's knees, her eyes focused across the room on the woman now standing with one of the teams.

"Um, I think you should ask dad that question. She's not a bad person, but you need to discuss it with him, and me, but especially him." Skye sighs, brushing a hand over Nika's curls.

"Is she— she kind of looks like me...?" Nika asks in a small voice.

"You think so?" Skye smiles sadly.

"If she is my other mom, the one who actually like was pregnant with me. I don't want to meet her. She gave me away, and you are my mom. You are the only mom I need, Skye. I love you so much, and you take care of me, and love me, and picked me." Nika sighs, playing with her hands.

"You don't have to talk to anyone you don't want to, Nika Joy. I will not make you and neither will dad. But if you wanted to know her, to meet her, to say anything to her, I wouldn't be upset. I am your mom, Nika, I will always be your mom, but if at any time, today, next year, in ten years, you want to know about her and what that part of your family would contain, it would be okay. You can have two moms if you want it. I won't ever stand in your way of getting answers, or wanting her to be in your life too. I know that doesn't reflect at all on the way you feel about me, and our relationship."

"I don't want that. I just want you." Nika cuddles tighter into Skye's shoulder. "She didn't want me, she didn't pick me, and I don't want to pick her either."

"That's fine too. But if in the future you change your mind, I won't be mad." Skye smiles, kissing Nika's forehead softly.

"Your dad left you and your brothers right? He didn't pick you guys. Would you give him a second chance?" Nika asks quietly.

"It's different, Nika, but no. My dad, he is a bad person, he picked a career of hurting others over his family. Your birth mom, she was young, she was alone, and she was scared. She didn't have money, or a house, or a way to take care of you. It's not the same situation, but I understand why you are hesitant to reach out or become close with her."

"I just want dad and mom, Nika and baby sister, and the dogs. I don't want to have any other family like that. I just want us." Nika breathes softly, tearing her eyes from the woman across the room finally.

"You've got us forever." Skye chuckles, "Dad and me, and baby sister too." She picks up Nika's hand, resting it over the baby's favorite kicking spot, smiling as Nika's face lights up when the baby kicks out at the pressure of her hand.