Thirty-Four

28 Weeks

"Are you nervous again?" Skye frowns at Calum beside her, his fingers freezing as they pick at the zipper of the leather jacket he is wearing.

"I just want to make sure everything is still going as good as it can. I don't know. You've been underweight, and baby girl has been measuring so small, I just want them to give us some good news while we are here today." Calum sighs, confessing candidly.

"I haven't thrown up in three weeks." Skye smiles, "And I haven't even been nauseous this week. In fact I've been hungry."

"I know, and I am so glad for that. But I'm still a little nervous. I want everything to be absolutely perfect."

"It will be, even if baby is small and I'm still lower on weight than they would like. We have made it to the third trimester and my sickness seems to have finally got the hint to hit the trail. It's all going to be okay, only twelve more weeks until we get to meet our princess."

"We better figure out a name for her then." He chuckles softly, resting his hand over her ever growing stomach.

"We really do need to do that." She nods, linking her fingers through his over her stomach.

"We might have to pull up the old google and start looking through lists. None of us have been able to come up with anything on our own yet." Calum chuckles.

"I wanna ask your mom too, or Mali, maybe there's a Māori name out there waiting to be hers." Skye smiles, brushing her thumb across his cheek.

"I love you." Calum grins, showing Skye his gratitude for the thought in his eyes.

"We'll find the right name, before she is born."

"If not Nika was nameless for about nine days, and she's managed to survive it." Calum laughs.

"Let's try not to end up in that situation." Skye laughs too, both of them turning as her name is called.

Calum helps Skye out of her chair, her growing stomach getting to the point it is pulling her off balance to a certain extent. Keeping his arm around her as they follow the nurse back to do vitals. Moving to a small room to wait for the doctor as soon as they are finished.

"I was up a whole ten pounds on my pre-pregnancy weight. Does that make you feel better?" Skye smirks knowingly at Calum across the room.

"A little bit, but I also know you should have probably gained a little bit more than that, but I am trying to take what I can get in positives."

"That's the spirit." She laughs, "It's all going to be okay. The worst is behind us."

"It is." He smiles over at her softly turning as a knock comes at the door.

"Morning, guys." Dr. Tanner smiles as he enters the room, "Weight is increasing but blood pressure is dropping a little bit so we are going to make sure to monitor that closely. It's not uncommon with Hyperemesis Gravidarum for it to be low, we just want to make sure it doesn't dip too low, but we should be fine. Don't panic, either of you."

"He's talking to you, dad." Skye chuckles, glancing over to Calum.

"It really shouldn't be a big deal, there are no other indications of issue, and especially with how her appetite has been coming back and we are gaining weight again. I promise to let you know if anything is concerning me. This is not." Dr. Tanner speaks directly to Calum.

"I believe you." He raises his hands defensively as he laughs.

"That being said, lets check on your little lady. She's been small, also a side effect of the HG, but hopefully we can see some extra growth in her today."

Skye lays back on the exam table, rolling her t-shirt up and unbuttoning her shorts, giving the doctor access to her stomach. She laughs as soon as the ultrasound wand is placed against her skin, the baby immediately kicking out at the new pressure.

"She's a feisty one isn't she?" Dr. Tanner laughs too.

"Just like her mama." Calum nods, standing and moving beside Skye to see the screen better, his hands automatically lacing with hers.

"She looks active and healthy, but she is measuring small, almost two full weeks small. That doesn't mean she is going to be born late, or anything like that, but it could mean her lungs have a harder time adapting when she is born, or her weight gets her put in the NICU for observation for a few days."

"Is there anything else I can do to help fatten her up?" Skye asks, watching the baby on the monitor.

"Eating." Dr. Tanner smiles, "Fatty but healthy foods. Things that will feed your body and hers but with higher fats if possible. Balance it. Indulge but also eat things with vitamins and such too."

"I think I can handle feeding her all her favorite foods." Calum laughs.

"Other than that, we just have to see how she does over the next twelve weeks. Even if she stays small, it shouldn't be a huge issue. If anything it will be a couple extra days of observation to make sure she is coping well with life."

"Doesn't mean we won't try and fatten her up a bit in the meantime." Skye smiles.

"I'm already figuring out which places to stop on our way home. Some cheesy pasta, or maybe we'll go get that veggie noodle dish she loves from the Thai place downtown. Some ice cream and I've definitely got to make sure we are stocked on fatty healthy foods like avocado and hummus." Calum grins.

"He's gonna be a great dad." Dr. Tanner smiles at Skye as he hands her a tissue to clean her stomach of the gel.

"He already is the best dad." Skye smiles up at Calum, "To our older daughter as well as this baby."

"I've been blessed with two beautiful daughters in my life, I have to make sure they both know exactly how they should be treated by the men they allow in their lives. That's the rule when you are a girl dad."

***
Skye.Hood

Liked by asherdaniels, kaykay, and 184,589 others

Skye.Hood: the hardest and most amazing thing I've ever done is give life to you little one. ❤️

LizaLou: you are glowing! I cannot wait to meet my cute niece.

DerificDerik: so so happy for you guys, Skye, can't wait to make it back to LA to meet her when she's born.

—————————
Thoughts?

Vote and comment!

I love you guys!!!

~M =)