Eighteen

⚠️TW//low ⚠️

11 Weeks

"Happy Birthday, Nika Joy!" Skye grins as Nika walks into the kitchen in her pajamas.

"Where's dad? It's Sunday." Nika laughs, climbing up to the counter and taking the plate of chocolate chip pancakes Skye hands her.

"It's our punk princess's ninth birthday, he went to get your present." Skye grins.

"My present? What is is?" Nika lights up excitedly.

"Oh no. Dad will kill me if I spill this secret." Skye laughs.

"Are you feeling better today, mom? I know coming home from Sydney made you really sick again."

"I'm okay today. Nothing is going to ruin your birthday don't worry, Nika. I won't let it."

"Will I have to wait until tonight to open my present? Until my party?"

"I don't think so. I think dad will be far too excited to give it to you as soon as he gets home."

"Good, 'cause I am way too impatient to wait clear until everyone will be here tonight" Nika giggles.

"Hurry and eat and then go get dressed and ready for the day. Dad will be home in a bit and Rosie and her mom are taking you to lunch remember."

"I remember. I'm excited. I missed Rosie while we were in Sydney for three weeks."

"Get all dressed up too, I know her mom said it would be a little bit fancy for you girls." Skye smiles.

"And everyone is coming over tonight right? All of dad's band, and Ryan and Jess, and Andy and Sarah, and Dana, and Roy, and everyone, right?"

"Everyone. It's a whole LA family party." Skye nods.

"Yay! Best birthday every!" Nika grins, her head turning as she hears Duke bark.

"Dad must be home." Skye grins, hurrying into the living room to pick up the old dog, cuddling him to her chest as he lets out a low growl from the back of his throat.

"What the heck? He never growls anymore." Nika laughs, following Skye into the front room.

"Is the birthday girl awake yet?" Calum pokes his head through the door, keeping something hidden behind him and the rest of the door.

"I'm awake! Do I get my present yet?" Nika grins.

"Yes you do." Calum grins, pushing the door open, a medium sized dog running through it excitedly.

"A dog!" Nika gasps, hurrying over to the white fluff of excitement, giggling as the dog starts licking at her cheeks.

"Her name is Snowflake. Mom and I have been watching the shelters website for the perfect dog for you for a little while, and she came up a week ago and we made a call. She's all trained and about a year and a half old. Happy Birthday, Punk Princess, you've got your own dog now." Calum grins.

"Thank you!" Nika squeals, "I love her."

"You have to help us take care of her though, you have to help with feeding her and cleaning up after her, and playing with her." Skye adds.

"Does she get to sleep in my room?"

"Yes. As long as you two actually sleep." Calum laughs.

"Thanks, dad and mom. I love her." Nika giggles, standing to hug them both.

"Figured it was time you could have a dog that was yours. Dukes so old now, and he doesn't play anymore. Now you've got Snowflake." Calum hugs her tightly again.