Thirteen

9 weeks

"I still can't believe we are in Sydney so you can get married tomorrow morning, sis." Bryce wraps his arms around Skye's shoulders from behind.

"Nowhere else I'd rather be." She grins up at him before around the small space Ashton had rented out for an unconventional rehearsal dinner.

With her aversion to anything with a smell, and the scorching heat of Sydney in December, the air conditioned arcade, with a catered assortment of light pastas, salads, and deserts, had been the perfect way for Calum and Skye to celebrate with their wedding party and families before the hullabaloo of the following days events. The guilt of Calum having to forgoing the traditional Bachelor party was lessened as well as she watched her fiancé playing pool across the room with his closest friends, laughing his big smiley laugh that told her he was more than happy.

"I'm so glad you found him, Skye. He's everything you deserve and so much more." Bryce chuckles, following her gaze.

"He's perfect." She nods, resting back against her brothers chest as she watches Calum get angry over a lucky shot Luke got in the game, watching both of them laugh as Calum shoves Luke.

"Perfect for you at least." Bryce laughs.

"Ya. I wish mom was here." She says quietly, as her attention is drawn to Joy, seated at a table with Eliza, Dana, and Mali talking.

"Me too. We felt it at Asher's but it's worse this time. As a bride, you should have had your mom here to see you get married." Bryce sighs.

"At least I've got two brothers, right? You guys will fill in some of the holes."

"Always, but we will never be mom. You are the best at filling that hole. Ash and I are lucky that way, to have you here in life still to remind us of her."

"I wish she got to meet the baby, I wish she got to see Ash get married, and me also. I wish she was around to see you making a life for yourself, and see dad getting what he deserves for treating her like shit. She deserved to see the good that came from all the shit her and our lives went through."

"She's seeing it. If there's a Heaven she's there and she's watching all of us. She's helping you stay strong through being sick, she's cuddling this baby until it's time to give them to you here, and she's proud. So, so proud of you, and Ash, and me. She loved Calum in life, and Nika, and Liza too. I know whenever I choose to find someone and settle down she'll have liked them too."

"If I like them, mom will have liked them." Skye laughs.

"Exactly my thoughts too. I'm so happy for you, Skye, and this little family you and Calum have created. It's mismatched and not a one of you is going to really look like another, but it's got more love than anything I've ever witnessed."

"Thanks, B. I think I should find a seat, and maybe some water, or something."

"I'll park you by the girls and get it. I need to go show those boys how a college kid plays pool anyway." He grins, shifting so his arm is across her shoulders as he steers her towards the table.

"How are you feeling tonight, Skye?" Eliza asks as she slides into one of the bar stools.

"I'm alright. Shakey but the nausea is controllable so I mean, I'll take that as a win. And I'm happy, and that's all I really care about." Skye smiles.

"Not getting cold feet are you?" Joy asks with a soft smile.

"Never. I want to marry your son more than I've ever wanted anything in life. Him, Nika, and this little one mean more to me than I ever thought anyone would."