Morning classes

As we stepped into the dungeons the temperature dropped and we all visibly shivered. Lucas led us into the room.

"Let's all sit together," Jacob whispered. I sat down at a table with four seats around it and Amelia sat next to me, the boys sat opposite. I looked around the dark candle lit room and took in the details. All around the edges were old beaten benches covered in scorch marks and stains, it looked as if they had been there since the school had been founded. I took out my book and quill as well as a piece of parchment.

The professor entered and glared around at us all. "First years," he sneered "The most useless class of the whole school. If you work hard in this class and have a gift or talent, which I severely doubt, I can teach you many great things. But like I said, I doubt it. Turn to page five in your books and begin."

I looked at the potion to see it was the Wideye potion, I had already read many potions books and had a great love for the subject. I looked in my text book and sighed, this recipe was so basic it was unreal. Oh well I could always add my own twist to it. I began the potion:

Add six snake fangs and four measures of standard ingredient into the mortar,
Add six dried Billywig stings to the cauldron and heat on medium for thirty seconds,
Crush the ingredients in the mortar and add four measures of it into the cauldron,
Stir three times clockwise and wave your wand,
Brew for forty one minuets.

Whilst it was brewing I added to my book:

Add two sprigs of wolfs bane to the cauldron and stir three times anti clockwise,
Wave wand to complete potion.

"Lily, what have you done it's the wrong colour! I thought mine was bad but gosh your in for it now," Amelia looked panicked as she stared in horror at my purple liquid then back to her grayish pink one.

"Calm down Amelia it'll be fine trust me," I whispered but starting to feel butterflies in my stomach

 Professor Grayson wondered around the room and glared down into the students cauldrons shaking his head whilst the kids cringed away. When he glanced down into my cauldron he did a double take. "Kid, would you like to explain why your potion is pink not purple?"

I blushed and looked down "Well, purple is ok for a basic level but it's pretty useless it's not very strong at all, it would only work for about half an hour. Pink is more advanced and stronger, it's effects are much stronger and longer lasting you'd stay awake for up to a week depending on how much you took but one drop should last a day."

For the first time a huge grin spread across professor Graysons face, "Well I never, what's your name kid?"

"Lily Potter sir."

"Well Lily, in all of my years in teaching I have never had such a talented young student. Not even my seventh years would think to question the book or the potions strength and use-fullness. You will go far my dear, what house are you in?"

Everyone was staring in astonishment by now and I looked down in embarrassment, I wasn't used to all of this attention. "Dragonclaw sir,"

"Ah I should have guessed by your uniform, a wise choice from the hat for one of Hogwarts new royals! Take your potion down to Madam Jones, I'm sure she'll be pleased to top up her stock before she runs out. I will clean up your cauldron."

"Ok, thank you sir."

"No problem princess," he winked at me as I hurried down to the infirmary. 

Once I got there I was greeted by a young witch in a healer uniform. "Hello dear, can I help you," she smiled.

"Um, Professor Grayson sent me to give you my Wideye potion that I made," I explained.

"Oh let me just take a look," she pulled out the stopper from the large bottle that I gave her and gasped in surprise, "Well my dear what a talent you have I've only seen a potion this strong from professor Grayson himself!"

"Thank you ma'am but I really must go to transfiguration, I'm already late."

She gave me a slip to give to my teacher and I hurried on my way.

I handed the slip to professor McGonagle, the daughter to the headmistress, and sat down next to Amelia and began the task, 'turn a matchstick into a needle'. "Damn I think I left my wand in potions," I sighed and raised my hand and waited for professor to wander over. "Yes miss Potter what's your problem?" she asked.

"Well Ma'am I seem to have left my wand in potions and I wondered if I could go and get it?"

"Yes you may get it but first you have to transfigure the matchstick, from what your brothers tell me you prefer to do wand-less magic anyway."

I sighed at my brothers, I should have known that they can't keep their mouths shut "Yes professor." I murmured before pointing my finger at the match, watching it form into a perfect needle. She nodded at me before I rushed off back to the dungeons.

I knocked on the door timidly once I reached the class. "WHAT NOW" yelled the furious voice of professor Grayson. I peered round the door to see a fifth year potions class, I soon spotted my brother James.

"Sorry to bother you professor but I seem to have left my wand in here last lesson," I blushed as everyone in the room turned to look at me.

"Ah my little potions princess, I put it in the draw of my desk when I cleaned away your cauldron. Have you finished your other lesson?"

"Yes sir."

"Well my dear, I would be very grateful if you stayed, I'm sure you'd be able to help this group of DUNDERHEADS as you can probably see they're USELESS!" he yelled the insults at his class as they looked down in shame. It became obvious now that the class was struggling as several cauldrons had thick black smoke billowing out of them.

I giggled a little as the students looked on in astonishment as their cruel potions master showed kindness to a little first year. "Of course sir I would love to help."

He smiled gratefully at me as I set off for the nearest smoking cauldron.

By the end of the lesson I was exhausted and ready for my lunch and whipped by brow as I bottled some of my brothers potion for the professor. The students looked at me in admiration as professor Grayson put his arm around my shoulders and gave me a light squeeze. "Well class, I think that young miss Potter here deserves a round of applause for all of her hard work and you'd better hope it was enough to improve your sorry excuses of potions as next lesson you will be trying them!"

The class looked a little green at the thought as they clapped for me. "Well princess, you'd better go and get some lunch. Class dismissed!"