Twenty Nine Part Three

Lynwood was waiting out front with the carriage, as the relieved, yet, somewhat somber group left the King's castle.

Brutus and Sam were being filled in on the proceedings by Violet, while Elizabeth held onto his hand.

She swung their hands back and forth, gazing up at him, listening, as he shared his encounter with the King.

He noticed his arm was being swung, and he smiled down at her beaming face, feeling how happy she was to be with him.

She had been worried the King would keep him and lock him away in a cell.

She gazed adoringly up at Violet, as he gave his men the news that they should be receiving their pardons.

"He had no consequences at all?" Brutus asked, amazed at their luck.

"He wants the Wench, Brutus. I tried to keep her for you. However, he wants her in payment of what he feels we owe him."

Brutus nodded, a regretful face telling how he felt about that. He would be sad to see her go, in spite of her handicaps, she had been home to them for almost the last decade of their lives.

Brutus thought, he should be focusing on the fact that he was not sitting in a cell awaiting a trial of his own, and be grateful for such.

"If that be the price we pay, then so be it, Vi. I am just glad to not have a rope around my neck!"

Sam agreed, "Aye, even though that leaves us wondering what we will be doing next."

Brutus felt the same, "I am sure the good Lord will figure some way to keep us out of trouble, Sam."

Sam hooked an arm around Brutus' shoulders. They walked behind the laughing newlyweds, whose arms were still swinging, as Betsy sashayed along, animatedly talking to Violet.

They continued walking, making their way over to join Katy and Eleanor who were chatting by the carriage.

Lynwood had pulled Marcus aside.

Violet noticed that his father had gone pale, and he wore a strange, stricken look upon his face, one that had not been there before.

Violet grew concerned as he saw Marcus frowning and shaking his head. Vi kept an eye on his father, hoping whatever was wrong, would not be too bad.

Violet turned to see that Brutus was frowning, looking Marcus' way also, he too was concerned.

"He told me he is my father." Violet spoke softly, as Betsy had come around to Violet's frontside, to hold him around the waist.

"What?" Elizabeth looked up at Violet, surprise written all over her face, "Marcus?....... He is?"

Elizabeth looked over at Marcus, then immediately returned her gaze to Violet's face.

"It is about time." Brutus smiled wryly at Violet. "I was not sure when he was going to finally tell you."

Sam laughed, as he had it figured out long ago also, "'Tis good you finally know, Vi." Sam squeezed Vi's shoulder, "He is a good man, I have always thought so."

Elizabeth was still trying to absorb this new information, looking upon her sheepishly, smiling husband, when Eleanor came and pulled her aside for a moment.

Eleanor held Betsy gently around her upper arms and looked into her eyes, "Did my cousin behave himself?"

Elizabeth smiled at her Lady, "He did, other than leaving me to rot in that room forever, he was perfectly lovely."