Forty Four Part Four

The majority of invited were in attendance, save those who would arrive fashionably late. The sound of kind natured chatter and polite laughter drifted up to the top of the grand staircase where the king's man called his announcement out, gaining the attention of all. "The honourable, Violet and Elizabeth Petals." All eyes turned their way, and Betsy, too full of joy to be timid, smiled widely at the sea of faces before her, noting more than a few of her and Violet's acquaintances. Betsy beamed as her gaze caught the glad visages of Damien and Amelia Mederios, pleased to acknowledge they regarded her and Violet with affection and acceptance. Betsy turned and lifted her glowing face to her husband's, seeing that he also had noted his uncle's attendance. Holding to his bared arm, Betsy allowed Violet to escort her down the stairway while Drake and Arianna were announced behind her. Will's announcement followed, and Betsy chortled, taking note of a group of young debutantes gathered together, their interest keen upon this latest arrival. The mate-seeking ladies' attention was brief; however, as the King came into view seeming to have an announcement of his own to deliver. The guests, as a whole, pressed forward, wanting to be sure to hear what the King would say.

Betsy found the crush suddenly was such, that they could not descend fully to the floor, leaving her and Violet to await the king's announcement on the fourth step up. Pleased with the advantage, she scanned the crowd for more familiar faces. Spotting Violet's mother and father, Betsy laid a hand upon Violet's arm. As inconspicuously as she could, Betsy pointed him in their direction when he bestowed his questioning gaze upon her. Betsy's heart swelled with emotion as she looked back up to see his pleased visage, knowing how much it meant to him to see his parents reconciled. Seeing the amusement that lit Violet's features, Betsy knew that Katherine had hit her mark, fashioning Marcus a costume that left no doubt he was a horned bovine creature. Holding a leash that fastened around his belled neck, Katherine resembled a pretty milkmaid. Betsy waved a tiny little wave at them before finding Lady Eleanor and her grandfather to the rear of the crowd. Betsy chuckled softly as her grandfather caught her eye, his ire evident upon his visage. The duke's greying brows were drawn down into a deep frown, his nose wrinkled as his mouth pursed with displeasure. Betsy was sure his disgruntled state stemmed from his forced attire. Laughing silently, shaking her head a small bit, Betsy teasingly wrinkled her nose back at him, acknowledging the only blood relation she had left in this world.

"I thought he refused to dress for these things." Violet teased, seeing the exchange betwixt the two. Betsy's uncontrollable mirth quietly escaped her, and she hugged Violet's arm to her tightly as all felt wondrously right in her world.

Drake and Arianna joined them, awaiting Will as he descended alone. Spying Lord Ashton in the crowd, Betsy easily found Lady Christine standing beside him, taller than the buxom Lady Ashton who stood to the lord's other side. Betsy noticed Christine was glaring up at the top of the staircase and, with a now furrowed brow, Betsy turned her gaze to see their magnificent Monarch beckoning the Duke and Duchess to come forward to stand on either side of him. Betsy looked back at Lady Christine, who was obviously upset. Betsy prayed the King could make amends as the pair had gotten along famously at the festival. She could well understand the lady's chagrin; however, as Lady Christine most definitely had been left in the dark as to the King's true identity. Refusing to fret, Betsy hoped all would go well, and she even ventured to guess that this would be grandly entertaining to watch play out. Raising her gaze to give her attention to the King, the crowd behind them stilled when the Monarch began to speak.

"Welcome creatures, one and all, to our enchanted forest." The King graciously began, his eyes and his arm sweeping to encompass the room while subdued laughter lifted in appreciation of his jest. His hand then lifted towards Kathleen, who took it with her own before he continued, "I have waited sometime now to honour one of our own." The King's regard then transferred to the Duke as his other hand came to rest upon the man's shoulder, "Yet I cannot imagine the wait this man has endured, not to mention his fine children." The King inclined his head down at Will and Arianna. "I am honoured, beyond measure, to present the Duke and Duchess of Marlborough. May you all welcome the duchess home as enthusiastically I have," the King turned his head, speaking directly to Kathleen. "It is our most esteemed privilege to have you back among us, Your Grace."