Forty Two P 4

Sadie crossed the landing to lean out over the railing and call out to the children that their supper was ready.

Violet let out an exaggerated sigh of relief, while wiping his brow of imaginary perspiration, as the slew of wooden swords immediately stopped prodding him further out onto the ship's plank. He watched with satisfaction while the children turned tail and began whooping, making their way down the slides and ropes, to then put their swords in the weapon box and run headlong to the manse. The youths swarmed Sadie excitedly, amid admonishments to lower their voices a mite, to be sure to hang up their sweaters neatly, and to wash up good before their meal.

"I thought I was sleepin' w' the fishes for certain!" Violet hopped down off the plank, offering Betsy his hand. "Did you see that? This time they nearly had me."

Betsy laughed, shaking her head at him while taking his hand. "You like to let them think so, though I believe you really do not fool a one of them." Betsy came up against Violet, being enfolded into his arms. Violet kissed her sweetly for a few moments then he held her for just as long as she liked.

Betsy enjoyed his embrace for a while, the peaceful quiet around them broken only by the occasional bleat of a sheep, or the quiet lowing of the cattle.

Leaning back, Betsy lifted her face for another kiss, then Violet accompanied her over to a slide gesturing ladies first. Betsy swooped down to the ground, Violet following right after. Betsy returned her sword, as the children had, Violet putting his away also.

"Kitten?" Violet nodded towards the swings. Betsy was happy to stay and play, as this was the time of day they had allotted for their own. The children were occupied with an early supper, presided over by Miss Sadie and Miss Merry.

Miss Merry had quickly become a permanent resident and valuable staff member. It had not been very difficult for Violet to convince her they needed her and that her talents would be appreciated. She had moved out of the apartment Alfred kept immediately, being more than eager to join their happy family.

"Did you get everything you needed today in town, kitten?" Violet asked as he pushed her gently.

Betsy held to the ropes and glanced over her shoulder, her satisfied smile was answer enough, yet she shared her accomplishment with him. "I did, Lady Eleanor led me in the right direction."

"You found the beads and feathers?" Violet prodded.

"Oh yes, once I told the dressmaker what I was up to, she was most accommodating." Betsy smiled wryly, "Though Lady Eleanor's recommendation may have helped a small bit." It had been an entirely different experience for Betsy at the dressmaker, rather than the previous times she had been. This was the first time she had been there since shedding her maid status and she had found the exchange quite enjoyable.

"I shall have you know," Violet imparted proudly, "I also accomplished my part of the costumes."

Betsy heard the pride in his voice and decided to play along. "Really? So quickly? My goodness, Violet, you really are quite extraordinary..." She smirked back at him, "But I already knew that." She turned forward again and heard him chuckling behind her.

"Saucy wench." Violet loved how she teased him. He grabbed the ropes as Betsy swung back, and she smiled up at him widely. He leaned down to steal a kiss when they both heard a carriage approaching from across the lake.

Violet stood upright, "Why, 'tis Lynwood, Marcus and Katy are back!" Violet was a bit surprised. "They were not due back yet."

"I, for one, am glad! I need your mother's help." Betsy stayed where she was, her toe pushing her off at a sedately steady pace.