Thirty Two Part One

Two of the King's carriages arrived early the next morning to wait at the docks. They would make up a caravan, along with Marcus' carriage, taking all who wanted to go, out to Marcus' estate.

Elizabeth had spent the night comfortably aboard ship, after wheedling the King just a mite, he had agreed, as Marcus and he had plans of their own.

The King and Marcus had decided to ride out early, before dawn, to alert the staff of everyone's eventual arrival, and to hunt with the falcon.

Mornings were a good time to catch the nocturnal creatures as they ended their nightly foraging before retiring for the day.

It was also a good time to catch the early risers, who ventured out of their holes and nests to break their fasts.

It was also easier for the King to move through the city less obviously, as the streets were mostly occupied by tradesmen's wagons picking up and delivering goods, getting their business done at that early morning hour.

Most of the population would still be at home, tucked up snugly in their beds.

As was Betsy this morn, waking in her own furs, with Violet's scent lingering upon his pillow.

Betsy breathed in the spicy aroma, wrinkling her nose a bit in frustration, as all that was missing in her world at this moment, was her husband.

She hugged the pillow to herself as she prayed for Violet's safety and his swift return.

She rose from the bed reluctantly, straightening the furs, she then went about readying herself for the day.

After using the privy and washing up, she brushed her teeth, then sat upon the bed to brush her hair.

The thought suddenly came to her. This cabin would not be her own much longer. She and Violet would be sleeping and spending their time somewhere else soon.

Where, she did not know, and it did not matter, as long as she and Violet were together, they would make a home wherever they landed.

If only the cabin could go with them.

They had made so many memories here already, that she did not want to give it up.

The first time Violet told her he loved her, being at the very top of her list.

When he told her of his miracle and he was filled with the Holy Spirit.

Betsy giggled, as she thought, she would welcome forgetting spitting her tea all over him, but then she saw Violet in her mind, upon the floor, singing, while giving Jonah his bath.

She saw her pirate husband, sitting in the overstuffed chair, telling fanciful tales to the enraptured, wee babes.

Aye, she would miss this space, very, very much.

She stood and went about dressing in her breeches and boots, she plaited her hair into a braid over her shoulder, donned her blouse and cinched her belt tightly.

She lifted a holster from the desk as she started to vacate the cabin, stopping at the door to look back around the room longingly for a moment.

She then closed the door behind her, making her way to the galley to break her fast.

The boys had convinced the King and Marcus to take them along this morn, bundled up in blankets, in the back of a wagon, the boys had gone before dawn with the early birds.

Jonah had remained behind, he and Paulie sat to the end of one galley table with Katy, all three of them spooning their porridge and chatting while they ate.