Chapter Fifteen

Following Violet's amazing story, Paulie decided to tell the stories he had been reading that were miracles too. He retold his story of Jonah and the 'Ninevits', how the big fish swallowed him then spit him out onto dry land. He told about Daniel in a pit with the closed mouthed lions, because he would not stop praying. About Moses and the parting of the Red Sea, to enable His people to flee to safety. It was a lovely way to pass the time and weather out the storm.

The waves tossed the Wench about here and there, and when Josh saw the babes eyes grow wide and worried, he thought of his own babes at home. The next wave that washed them over a bit more that the children were comfortable with, Josh grinned at them from across the table and emitted a 'weeeee' as they rode the wave. The boys caught on and helped him to reassure the children, that if they were not worried, the wee ones did not have to be either.

In between the stronger waves all were enthralled as Paulie was turning into quite the storyteller.

Chauncey had joined them, scratching his sleep tousled head, he entered the galley barely awake, yet he perked up quickly when he realized a story time was in process.

The old man settled into a seat, to drink his coffee, and to take part in one of his favorite pastimes.

'Ol Chauncey especially liked the story of the man who traveled around healing people of what afflicted them. He wished that man were here now, he would ask him to touch his eyes to help him to see better, like the blind man in the story Paulie just finished telling.

Oh, what a wonderful thing that would be!

**********************************

Violet wanted to be out in the storm, he could not contain himself to a room right now. His amazement and joy knew no bounds and he could not sit still. He had told Paulie to carry on, as everyone now felt safe and protected below, while listening to how God cared for His own.

Violet and Betsy stepped into the hallway outside the galley. Betsy could tell that Violet was full of energy and needed to bask in his miracle.

"I am going to join Brutus up top, I feel a need to be out there where it happened, I just need to be under His sky right now."

"May I come with you?" Betsy wanted to be out there too. She understood Vi's need to return to the scene of his deliverance, and she wanted to share these first few hours of his new faith with him.

"Of course you may, you were the one thing missing when I was topside a fore. Shall we go ride the waves together, my sweet?"

Betsy smiled and nodded, her eyes shining with love at this beautiful man who wanted to share his life with her. She was glad he did not ask her to stay below where it was safe, that he encouraged her to join him at the helm, teaching her to sail a ship and how to navigate. That he was willing to teach her to wield a sword, that he loaded her pistol for her. That he did not treat her as a fragile female, except at night, he did treat her gently then. That she did not mind.

They went to their cabin and he found her a jerkin and a hat. They then went topside with Brutus.

Vi had to help her keep her footing, as the deck was wet, and the ship was being hit by waves coming over the port rail. The waves were not huge nor mighty, simply the sea was churned up, due to the winds. The rain was not pouring down hard, just a light rain being blown every which way, as the Wench made her way homeward with Brutus at the helm.

Brutus watched their approach, he smiled at the best friend he had known forever, and the small, fresh faced, pixie girl beside him.

Brutus saw the care that Violet extended to the small slip of a girl, and it made him want the same for himself one day. The way she turned and smiled at Violet, her small hand upon Vi's arm, her eyes so filled with love and joy as she looked upon him.