Twenty Eight Part Three

Since all they could do was wait, Marcus told Violet how it had been.

Marcus told of his bedside vigil while his father lay dying, of how his father's wish to see him settled, with his future secure, had influenced him to do what he had done.

He told of how he had folded, and gone along with his father, marrying the woman that had been chosen for him. A marriage arranged for her status and her money.

Violet could see the pain in Marcus' face when he spoke of his father's death. Vi could well understand wanting to please the man who had meant so much to him, as he, himself, had always wanted to please Marcus.

Vi had worked very hard at honing his own skills throughout the years, just so that he could impress Marcus with his improved achievements once Marcus came back.

"I did not know your mother carried you at the time," Marcus continued, "And by the time I found out, it was too late. I want you to know I was devastated Violet, I knew the very moment I gave in to my father, that I was betraying your mother, and my own heart."

Violet was glad to know the bigger picture, that Marcus had done what he had for love of his father, not because he had wanted the funds an Earl's daughter had brought him.

"Marcus, you did not abandon us, and you did not leave me completely fatherless......you were there. Even when you were not physically there, you were there in our hearts and our minds." Vi looked over at his mother, then back."We always knew you would come, and we knew when. I know I have lived for those visits for years."

Violet's love for Marcus shined in his eyes, "We knew your love, you supported us, and you cared for us. The only thing that was missing, was being with you."

"And I with you, but never again, God willing....never again." Marcus was shaking his head slightly, his heartfelt words, Violet could not agree with more.

Vi had a father of his very own now, one he could claim as his, as he never could before today.

He wanted to share this with Elizabeth, he wanted to tell Brutus, he ended up putting his arm around Marcus' shoulders and squeezing him tight.

"Good Lord, Violet, I am an old man, go easy there with my poor, old bones." Marcus laughed, proud of his strong,
beautiful, good hearted boy.

They grinned at one another, as the inner door opened to the King's domain.

"Lord Baron Shelly." The man announced.

Marcus and Violet had already turned towards the door as soon as it opened, they now exchanged glances.

Vi's face was stunned, he had not noticed when Marcus checked in with the man at the desk, he had been too busy whining and pouting.

Marcus' visage was pleased, however, "Ah, very nice, I was hoping that would happen."

"But.......but..... then where is Elizabeth?" Violet tried to see into the room, yet the King's man blocked all but a small sliver of the opening.

"I do not know, but mayhap, I can find out." Marcus winked at Vi, then walked away, entering through the doorway.

Leaving a bewildered and confused Violet, to stay behind and annoy his mother with his curiosities.

*************************************************************

"Marcus," The King greeted him warmly, as he again stood at the side table, "Brandy? Or is it too early yet?"

The King was genuinely happy to see him, as Marcus was the first friend he had allowed himself in a long time.