Twenty Nine Part Two

Lynwood drove the carriage across town to Lord Kensington's, per Marcus' instructions.

Lynwood reined the team in as they approached the residence, pulling the carriage to the side of the lane, he set the brake and hopped down from his perch.

He crossed over to the other side of the street, walking up the steps to knock upon the door.

He waited patiently a few moments, wondering if he should try around back. There was usually someone working about in the kitchens.

He lifted his gaze as he heard a rig coming down the street, it slowed it's approach, coming to a stop beside him.

Lynwood recognised Charles riding atop the conveyance, now setting his brake.

Charles was relieved to find Lynwood standing on the stoop. He had been to Lynwood's daughter's home, only to be told that the man had already departed.

Charles climbed down, nodding to Lynwood, before he then went to the door of the carriage, opening it to allow his passenger to disembark.

Lynwood stood aside as Charles led a middle aged woman to the steps.

"I shall be right with you, Lynwood. Please come in and wait." Charles opened the door, allowing the woman to precede him inside.

Lynwood followed behind, closing the door and standing in the foyer, as Charles made the woman welcome in the parlour.

Charles closed the door behind him as he came out, and glanced furtively at Lynwood, "Follow me."

Charles led the man to the kitchens where he asked for a tea tray to be prepared for the hired nurse.

Charles then led Lynwood to a roughly hewn, wooden table in the corner, where he invited Lynwood to sit upon the benches with him for a moment.

Lynwood could tell that something was bothering Charles, "What is it, man? Is all well with ye?" He inquired.

Charles shook his head, "'Tis not me who has the worries, Lynwood. Your Lady has been hurt very badly. She had an accident, and from what my Lord says, she will not be recoverin'."

Lynwood sat back in his chair, flummoxed. This was definitely not what he had been expecting when he arrived here today.

"What happened to her?" He asked bewilderedly.

Charles saw her in his mind, lying upon the foyer floor once again, he visibly cringed, as he told Lynwood the whole sorry tale.

******************************************************

The King sat forward, taking in all that Marcus told him, weighing it carefully as he went, while eyeing Violet closely the entire time.

Violet stood stoically, except the once or twice when he was visibly embarrassed, as his father sang his praises, stressing how many young lives he had saved.

Violet had not known it had been that many, they had seemed so few and far between. Yet, it had been many years now that they had done it, and he was glad to have been able to be used by God in such a way.

The King was duly impressed, over one hundred children had been rescued, either being returned to their relatives, or they had been found new homes through the church. This was highly commendable in the King's eyes.

He could not fault Violet's motivation, yet, he still could find fault with his methods.

When Marcus had told all he knew, the King thanked him and the Lady Ellie, dismissing them back to their observation area.