Forty Four Part Two

Making no attempt to keep up with Betsy, the King and Violet lagged a short distance behind, as Betsy's excitement seemed to give wings to her feet.

"We are to meet the Kent's in the formal parlor, my dear." The King spoke to Betsy's back. "You know where to turn, correct?" The King saw Betsy's enthusiastic nod, and when she did not slow her pace one whit, seeming to only hurry more, his deep chortle could be easily heard by Violet walking beside him.

"She is a bit excited to see her lady, I believe." Violet surmised.

"I would say, more than just a small bit." The King agreed humorously, realizing he may just have enough time for a private word with Violet before they joined the others. "Petals..."

"My liege?" Violet queried.

"You remember the breach on the night of your parent's wedding?" The King gave Violet a sidelong glance, noting his nod before turning to face forward again. "You think you could manage to keep and eye out for anything untoward this evening, without her knowing?" The King jerked his head up a bit, signaling Betsy's direction.

"Most assuredly, Sire." Violet's curiosity was aroused. "Has anything happened since, Sire?" Violet watched the King's features, noting the faint frown that came and went quickly from his Monarch's face.

"No. No, all is well, for now." The King replied. "However, I have been thinking..." Seeing Betsy round the corner ahead, the King put out an arm to stop Violet, to better speak to the man. "Let her go ahead, we shall catch up in a moment."

Violet could see the royal man was weighing something in his mind. More than willing to help with whatever it was, Violet waited patiently while the King seemed to cement his course of action.

" 'Tis the pawn, Petals. I need your help." The King suddenly felt as though a weight had been lifted from his shoulders, confirmation enough to him that he was doing the right thing.

"Anything, Sire." Violet replied with conviction. Though concerned with the King's problem, Violet also felt honored that the King, it seemed, now trusted him enough to share his secret.

" 'Tis a boy." The King began, "Not exactly a boy, I suppose, but a young man." The King reached a paw to unconsciously scratch at an ear, the fuzz tickling his lobe a little, despite his focus on the subject at hand.

"The pawn is a young man?" Violet meant to keep this straight.

"Yes. Tomas, to be exact, he is the future heir to a title of some consequence."

"I see." Violet willed the man to go on, hoping Betsy would not turn back realizing they no longer followed her.

"Tomas has been here with me since shortly after his father passed, being tutored, taking instruction, learning his duties and all that they will entail. However, he comes of age before too long now and I see as the time approaches, his enemies grow bold." The King's piercing eyes darkened as his frustration was revealed. "They will kill him if they can, Petals, to take the title from him, you see?"

Violet nodded, and though he did not know all the details, he now knew enough, his concern most evident upon his features, as though he already sought an invisible foe.

The King suddenly chuckled, a bit evilly, upon seeing bloodlust in the pirate's eyes. "Nay, Violet, I would not have you defeat his foe..." The King looped an arm about Violet's shoulders and led him onward down the hall. "That pleasure will hopefully be mine. However, I would have you think on whether you believe Tomas would do well with you and Elizabeth at the orphanage."

Violet was surprised by the King's request, for usually when one strove to keep something safe, they also tended to kept it close. "You do not believe he will be safer here under your guard?" Violet turned to assess the King's response, the furry arm dropped from around his neck as they walked side by side making progress towards the parlor door.