Chapter 42

Neither Marcus, nor Katherine, found themselves content for very long. After a fortnight spent at the cottage, packing the things Katherine wanted to take amid catching up on years of lost love, they both expressed a mutual desire to cut their honeymoon trip short and return to Shelly. Marcus wanted to be home to watch the buildings go up, to watch the fields being turned before winter arrived, and to start utilizing any surplus on the estate to aid as many of the poor as they possibly could. When not enjoying his passionate wife, Marcus found his mind consumed with the progress that may, or may not, be being accomplished at the estate in his absence. He wanted to spend time with Violet also, now that their relationship was in the open, to share in his son's accomplishments while watching his goals come to fruition.

Katherine found herself more eager than she had anticipated to settle in at Marcus' hunting lodge for the present. She felt ready to make a home with him and to try to assume her duties as his baroness. If they left soon enough, they would make it home in time for the masquerade the King had issued invitations to, in honor of the Duchess of Kent's return. Katherine thought it may be a less stressful opportunity for her to make her first step into society as Marcus' wife, as the focus of the evening would, hopefully, be centered on the duchess. It would also be Violet and Elizabeth's debut in society, and she would certainly desire to be there for that.

On the second Sunday spent in the quiet community, after church, Marcus and Katherine said their goodbyes. Katherine's were tearful, and heartfelt. Marcus stood right behind her, promising repeatedly that he would bring her back to visit before too much time had passed. Brutus's parents came by the cottage later that afternoon with letters to be delivered to the men, congratulations on their pardons, and exclamations of pride and joy for their son, that he now sailed as a full fledged captain in the King's service. Beatrice, Brutus's mother, just may have hinted in her letter to her son, that he make a quick visit on his way back out to sea, so they could tell him themselves just how happy they were for him. Marcus and Anthony, Brutus's father, exchanged warm handshakes, Marcus inviting them to Shelly anytime soon, even before Brutus set sail if they wished to. Anthony had raised a brow in interest, Beatrice had blushed at the thought of visiting the city. Having never left her birthplace either, Katherine understood Beatrice's trepidations. Reassurances, and a description of Marcus's country estate, calmed Beatrice's fears somewhat and even inspired a desire to mayhap, venture forth into the unknown. Katherine promised to hug and kiss Brutus for his mother, the men smiling indulgently, knowing the women would miss one another after living so closely all their lives.

After a quiet evening at home, getting to bed early, so as to gain an early start in the morn, Marcus woke Katherine at dawn in a leisurely manner before then harassing her to hurry so they could be on their way.

Lynwood was stowing the last of their things in the boot. Marcus was making a nuisance of himself, supervising Lynwood as he loaded the coach, after Marcus had promised Katherine that her mother's china would be well placed.

"That be all of it, milord?" Lynwood asked Marcus.

"I believe so, Lynwood, unless our lady finds anything else she simply can not do without." Marcus was in good humor this morn. The day had dawned a bit foggy, yet, it was clearing even as they packed. The bright, morning sun, burning the sea fog away quickly, boded well for their day of travel.

"Here comes Ol' Chaunce, milord." Lynwood observed the old pirate mincing sprightly their way.

As it had been, and as would follow for quite a while, Chauncey looked all about him as he came down the lane from Reverend Fielding's cottage.

Marcus smiled indulgently, happy to notice over their visit that Chauncey's improved sight also seemed to have improved his mind. The old man bathed on a regular basis these days, he washed his clothing regularly, and he took much more care with his appearance. Noting the fresh shave, his hair slicked back neatly, Marcus could appreciate Chauncey's newfound lease on life as the widows in the community now invited Chauncey over for afternoon tea and pastries, enjoying his stories and the company he provided.