Forty Four Part Five

Whirling Betsy about the ballroom floor, deftly avoiding the other animatedly disguised couples with a swoop here and a sidestep there, Violet deferred to a conversation that had begun much earlier, "I believe that brings the total to five, kitten."

"It does not, Violet, it brings it to six, and you well know it." Betsy leaned back to scold him better, giving him a most reproving look, her nose doing that cute thing that he adored, she went on, "I won the wager fair and square, you are simply obstinate."

"I am not," Violet stated childishly, a twinkle lighting his eyes. "T'was five, Uncle Damien and Lord Ravenwood, myself, Marlborough, and Trent."

"You conveniently forget the King, Violet." Betsy imparted dryly. "She started with the King, so I win." She stated matter of factly.

"Hmm, aye, she did start with the King, did she not?" Violet ceded, knowing all along his wife had won the wager. "Smugness is not becoming, you know." Violet feigned injury, wincing, as Betsy loosed a hand and took a swat at his leather-clad chest. Taking her swatting hand into his own, Violet held it fast so she could swat at him no longer. "He looks as uncomfortable as a sheep being sheared."

Sharing a laugh, Betsy and Violet then smiled innocently as they whirled past Gabriel and Eleanor. Violet was correct; the duke did look quite uncomfortable as he held his upper arms tightly to his sides, apparently in a bid to assure the sheet remained upon his body.

"Does he not wear anything beneath?" Violet queried, causing Betsy to snicker at his quip.

Betsy admitted jovially, "I did not think to ask." Her eyes shone with merriment as she pressed her original point. "I would like to collect on the wager now if you would not mind." Betsy's eyes sparkled up at Violet mischievously as she prodded him to pay her her due.

"Since you won fairly I can only accede, my love." Violet sighed heavily in mock frustration, before leading Betsy from the ballroom floor towards the hallway that would take them to the gaming room. "I assume you will be looking for a game of noddy." He pulled a small purse of coins from its tie at his waist and began to count out coins as Betsy considered her options.

"I'm not sure." Betsy's brow furrowed slightly in consternation. "I believe I would like to watch a bit first to see what games are to be had." Betsy looked up at him for confirmation, knowing she had won only a small amount, she wanted to seek out the best odds before gambling her coins on any one game.

Violet nodded at her wisdom. "Highly commendable, lovey, a wise man always surveys the battlefield before committing to any one strategy."

"Or a wise woman?" Betsy stopped and queried before they entered the room.

"Aye, or a wise woman." Violet tugged on one of Betsy's plaited braids as she held her hand out for her winnings. "Go get 'em, kitten." He turned her in an about-face towards the open door before spinning her back to face him again. He lifted her chin with a crooked finger and kissed her, "For luck." Returning his smile, Betsy took hold of his hand, dragging him slightly into the room before coming up short.

Violet almost ran into the back of her; she stopped so abruptly. He believed he saw the reason why. Three small tables were to the left side of the room, men of all ages sat at them, sipping brandies and smoking cigars while playing cards. Violet correctly assumed that Betsy had become intimidated as there were only males present. Two larger tables sat front and right of them, here also, only men plied the trade, these men, however, were younger and a bit more boisterous than the men to their left.

"Mayhap, this isn't such a good idea," Betsy whispered over her shoulder, trying to back up, attempting to back Violet up with her.

"Nonsense, kitten," Violet attempted to bolster her confidence, pushing her forward slowly as he whispered in her ear. "You can do this, Elizabeth. Have you never heard of beginner's luck?"