Thirty Seven Part Four

Violet's one simple idea ended up mushrooming into many, after all began sharing their own thoughts with one another.

Violet rode into town to consult with Damien and Amelia, who then added their two pence, and slowly but surely, Violet's idea snowballed into many more good ideas, once everyone had collectively, and enthusiastically, given their own advice.

Amelia shredded the invitations she had written, invites that had been written out to a stuffy, formal, private dinner.

After some discussion between the three of them, she made new, lively invitations to a weekend affair, all of them written out in the form of treasure maps, leading to Shelly Hall.

This idea also widened the guest list, every Duke, Earl, and Marquess, would receive a personal invitation to bring his family to a 'swashbuckling' weekend of entertainments.

Damien decided to put up notices at the gentlemen's clubs that made it clear 'twas a family event.

Violet thought, mayhap, seeing their own well cared for children, next to the recently homeless, may help to soften the men's hearts, and open their purses.

They thought to have contests of skills, assorted races for all ages, and booths set up with games of chance.

There would be much to do to prepare for such a festival, and Violet knew he would need quite a bit of help. He decided to check in with the crew upon leaving his uncle's residence, then he planned to stop by and inform the King of their improved upon plans.

Once he arrived at the Wench, Violet knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he had the good Lord on his side. He just happened to find Brutus being informed that the Wench had lost her claim for dry dock, she would not be able to be accommodated for the following fortnight, at the least.

A ship had come limping into harbor overnight. She had taken the hard impact of a reef, damaging her hull, and was in dire need of repair. If they had not docked her immediately, she would have been sitting at the bottom of the Thames, come this morn.

Brutus took the news well, but really, how could he not, when he had received so many of his own blessings of late? He was merely experiencing a minor setback.

Violet stood to the side, patiently waiting, until the man speaking to Brutus took his leave. Vi stood tall, rocking back upon his heels, wearing a most satisfied smile.

Brutus frowned slightly at his friend. "Why are ye lookin' so smug, Captain?" Brutus eyed Violet suspiciously.

Violet grinned wider, "Welcome to the world of being a ship's captain, my friend. You are experiencing your first frustration it seems."

"Aye," Brutus nodded, smiling slightly at the thought of his new position, "I have been anxious to get started, but unless I receive a miracle, it seems I must cool my heels." Brutus also realized, quite happily, that this would allow him to pursue his shy maid, Margaret, with a bit more leisure.

Violet laughed lightheartedly, feeling he had just received the miracle Brutus spoke of, "I have need of some help, Brutus, and I believe I just found it." Violet clapped Brutus on the shoulder, "Gather the men, I haves some plans I needs ta share with ye."

Brutus raised a brow, chuckling, "Aye, aye, Captain." Brutus shook his head slightly in amusement, as he went below to hail the men topside.

*********************************************

Betsy went about the manse, familiarizing herself more fully, with the layout, and the housing opportunities provided to them, within the home.

Violet had asked her to make a list, encompassing all the things she imagined they would need, and all the changes she would like to make, had they twenty children to care for.