Forty Part Two

Betsy stepped up to stand in the center of the dining room doorway. The King stood behind the adjacent wall, grinning swarthily.

Violet felt Betsy's presence as soon as she appeared. Vi looked up from his coffee, and the conversation he had been in the middle of with the King's reverend who had only just arrived. The reverend having gratefully joined the men at their breakfast and brews.

Betsy smiled at Violet gloriously, before straightening her face and calling out, "All hands on deck."

Each and every man of the crew stood immediately. Some already faced her, those that did not stepped over their benches and then turned to face their young mistress.

Betsy stood ramrod straight, her hands clasped behind her back, as she paced back and forth in the double doorway. "Since Violet is the Captain of yon ship in the yard..." Daring any man to refute her, Betsy's eyes sparkled with mischief, as she frowned her feigned authority while awaiting any objections.

None came.

"And since I would be the quartermaster of yon ship...." She again stopped her pacing to await any words against her. Her brow raised as she looked to every man.

They all smiled and chuckled at her act, almost making her lose her composure. She held onto it by a thread, looking at Violet, who supported her with a serious mien.

"I would like ye all ta meet our newest crew member, yer new first mate...." Betsy was interrupted.

"Ahem."

Betsy turned away from the room where the crewmen sat patiently, wearing half smiles and raised brows, all of them wondering what she was up to now.

The King stood against the wall beside her, hidden, waiting for his introduction.

"What?" Betsy whispered harshly at the King, as he had stood from the wall, straightening to his full height.

As if that would intimidate her.

"I should be Captain, no less." The King said quietly, yet testily.

"Oh right," Betsy snapped. "And that will really help your disguise!" She narrowed her eyes, crossed her arms, and tapped her toe at him.

He glared back at her for a few seconds. "Fine! Quartermaster it is." He nodded sharply, as she continued tapping her toe and looking at him dubiously with the still raised brow.

"I am quartermaster." Betsy stated in a tone that brooked no argument.

The King gave her a petulant look. "Fine! I will be first mate!" Though it galled him to be under another's rule, the King had decided to blend in with his people who came to attend the festivities. To walk amongst them, to spend time in their presence, without the intimidation factor his position always brought about. He hoped to blend in and not be recognized by the populace this day.

Betsy smiled smugly at him, accepting his wisdom in agreeing with her before turning back to the dining room.

Damn saucy wench! The King growled at her slightly.

Betsy giggled, she quickly made a face at him, wherein her tongue protruded from her lips, and then she cleared her throat of laughter to address the men once more. "May I present, The Shadow of the Seas, your new first mate, Little John."

"Why that?" The King furrowed his brow as he whispered harshly. He was not little. Shadow of the Seas sounded good, and John was fine, a common enough name, but he was definitely not little.

Betsy turned back to him. " 'Tis a deception, you know, as Tiny, on the Green Eyed Lady. He was incredibly large, as you are tall." Betsy waved her arms way above her head to show Tiny's size in gestures.