Chapter 1

Today's the day. The one day Evelyn-Grey had been looking forward to for as long as she could remember. August 18th 1992, Evelyn-Grey Potter's 11th birthday. Why is her 11th birthday so important you might ask? Well, she was hoping to receive a very special, very important letter today. Her Hogwarts letter...

She had hardly slept a wink last night. She was overwhelmed, she had been so excited at the prospect of going to Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but what if she didn't get in? However, her uncle had been snoring so loudly, that even if she hadn't been up all night working out her odds of attending Hogwarts, she wouldn't have been able to sleep much anyway. 

Uncle Moony had told Evie all about Hogwarts, the adventures he used to have and the mischief he used to cause. He wasn't really her uncle, but had been best friends with her father ever since they were both sorted in Gryffindor many years ago. Remus had raised Evelyn since she was a baby, he was only 21 when he became her legal guardian. They didn't have much, living in a small, 3 bedroom cottage, in the middle of the Yorkshire country side, but they got by. It was the least he could do, James had been such a dear friend to him, it was only right the Evie grew up with someone who loved her just as much as her parents had. The one thing Remus regretted, was not being able to look after both the Potter children. 

Evie's parents had been killed when she was barely two months old. Of course, she couldn't remember them, but Uncle Moony always told her stories about them. How powerful they were, how clever, funny and loyal they had been. How brave they were, the story of that fateful night was one that Evie-Grey could never forget.

You-Know-Who had killed Lily and James Potter on all hallows eve 1981. Lily had been cradling Evelyn, next to her brother Harry's cot, when You-Know-Who entered their house in Godric's Hollow. He was cruel and merciless as he cast the unforgiveable killing curse upon the residents of the house. Lily, still holding Evelyn, had thrown herself between Voldemort and Harry. She had put her faith into an old type of magic, something she had hoped the Dark Lord had not thought about. Although Voldemort had attempted to kill them all, he had not succeeded. Lily and James' love had protected Evelyn and Harry from the Dark Lord's curse. Although this old magic had protect the siblings from the curse, it had left a mark on their skin in the shape of a lightening bolt. Evie's scar was barely noticeable, hidden behind her left ear. 

Remus hadn't gone into much detail about how he got Evie or how he became her guardian, all she knew was Albus Dumbledore had split the children up for their own protection. She went to live with Remus at his parents house. Her brother Harry, was sent to the Dursleys, their maternal aunt and uncle, Muggles!

Evelyn loved living with her Uncle Moony, Grampa Lyall and Grandma Hope at Lupin Lodge. However, she longed to be reunited with her brother Harry. That's why today is so important, if she gets her Hogwarts letter, she is one step closer to being with her brother again. Being the older sibling, Harry already attends Hogwarts. Maybe, she could bring him home to Lupin Lodge now that they were older. Living with muggles must have been hard for Harry, Evie's Grandma Hope was a Muggle. She didn't like it when Remus and Grampa Lyall used magic for everything, she said it builds character when you have to work hard to get something done. Evie often thought this was because Hope was a bit jealous of the magical family she was surrounded by.  

Brushing her wild, Auburn hair, whilst staring into her green eyes in the mirror's reflection, Evelyn-Grey was surprised at how much she resembled the photo of her mother, which took pride of place on her bedside table. The photo was of her mother Lily and her father James, dancing around in the snow. They both looked so in love and incredibly happy. This was her favourite photo, followed closely by the photo she had hanging on her wall. Uncle Moony was like the father she lost, he was there for her like any father would be and they were often inseparable. This was obvious by the hundreds if not thousands of photos they had together. This particular photo however, was taken last Christmas. Remus had been recovering from a particularly bad full moon, he hadn't been able to afford the ingredients for his wolfsbane potion, so he'd had a pretty rough time of it. It was Christmas eve, Grandma Hope had made them all wear silly Christmas jumpers and play muggle board games such as Cluedo, Monopoly and Charades. The photo captured the moment of pure joy and enlightenment on her and Uncle Moony's faces when he finally realised the film Evie was trying to portray, was the latest adventures of Captain Kirk aboard the Starship Enterprise - Star Trek, of course! If there was one thing muggles could do well, it was create fantastic Sci-Fi movies.