Chapter 24

After Draco had sent Evie's letter from the owlery, he went in search of Harry. If he didn't know any better, Evie was dying. Her astro body no longer able to spend periods of time up and about, meant something was wrong.

Despite Draco's hatred for Harry, Evelyn was kind, caring and didn't pass judgement. She saw people, their souls and she needed help. Harry had a right to know and if Draco was honest, who else would he go to about something like this.

The trio were just heading to the great hall for dinner when Draco saw them. In his usual style, he stood in front of the three of them, blocking their path.

"Shove off Malfoy" Ron spat in disgust.

Draco glared at him but reminded himself that he needed to talk to Harry for Evelyn, so his face softened.

"I need to talk to you Harry," Draco sighed.

"Not now Malfoy, I've been having an alright day and I'd rather not ruin it," Harry quipped. Shoving past Malfoy, the trio made their way closer to the great hall.

"It's about Evelyn," Draco called out to them, their backs facing him.

Harry, Ron and Hermione all froze on the spot. Hermione was the first to turn around, her curly mane bouncing as she whipped her head around in confusion.

"What did you say?" she questioned. Harry and Ron turned slowly, giving Draco a wary stare.

Taking a step closer to the three Gryffindors Draco replied, "Look, we can fight all we like but she needs help."

"She's petrified you dumb-nut, how can we help her right now?" Ron asked sarcastically.

"It's more complicated than that Weasley, I've been to see her and -" Draco was interrupted by Harry.

"YOU! Why would you go and see my sister!?" Harry declared.

Trying not to bite back, Draco calming began to explain, "I know it is hard for anyone to believe but, well we are friends alright. I've been helping her practice for the tournament."

"You and Evelyn friends? How? Why were you helping her with the tournament?" Harry questioned, shock etched of his face as well as his friends'.

Draco started to become defensive, "Like I said Potter, we are friends, I was more surprised that you three hadn't offered to help her. Seems you were far to busy to help out your own sister in a tournament she was clearly very excited about."

Harry looked over at Hermione and Ron who both looked as guilty and embarrassed as he felt. Draco was right, none of them had offered to help Evie with the tournament. Not even a quick run through of different potions to help prepare her - this made them all inwardly cringe. They hated it when Draco was right.

"Listen, this isn't about us it's about Evelyn. Right now, her astro form is so weak she can't even leave the hospital wing. We could barely finished our conversation before she started coughing..." Draco explained.

"Blimey!" Ron stated as he raised his eyebrows and eyes popped.

"Fine, for Evie!" Harry proclaimed.

"Come on, let's go to the library," Hermione suggested earnestly.

"I have an idea of where to start," Draco replied. The second years all turned and hurried towards the library.

_____________________________

It had been a week since Draco had asked Harry, Ron and Hermione for help. Finally, they thought they had found something that might help Evelyn.

As much as it pained Harry to admit it, Draco had been a great help over the last week. If it hadn't have been fore him, they might not have known about Evie's deteriorating condition. Draco had been right, the trio had been so caught up in other things that it had been a while since they visited Evelyn.

For Evie's sake, Harry suggested Draco and Hermione perform the ritual that they had found, while on a search in the library. It made sense, they were both top of the class in most subjects and Evie needed the best of what they could offer right now. The pair set of to collect all the items they needed to perform the ritual.

Meanwhile, Ron and Harry visited Evie in the hospital wing. It was important for her to know that they were doing everything they could to help her. They tried their best to reassure her that everything would be alright, but she didn't respond to them. Both boys became increasingly worried at the silence, it was unlike Evie to be so quiet.

Harry and Ron made a quick exit from the hospital wing to search for Hermione and Draco. Evie was sick, very sick and they would need to get everything they needed for the ritual as soon as they could. No one was even sure it would work, but they had to try something. Evie's life depended on it. As they headed down the hallway, Harry and Ron were stopped by the gathering of teachers that had formed at the end of the corridor.

The boys his behind a grand archway while the teachers of the school gathered in the hallway. Something bad had happened, the atmosphere was dense with tension. Harry and Ron listened intently to the hushed conversations the adults were having.

"Look Albus, the heir of Slytherin has left another message," Professor McGonagall sighed.

"It seems a girl has been taken," Snape droned in his usual dreary tone.

"Her skeleton will lie in the chamber forever," Albus read, "Who is it that has been taken Minerva?" he questioned.

"Ginny Weasley," Professor McGonagall replied.

Ron froze, "Ginny," he whispered. It seemed both Harry and Ron's sisters were now in trouble.

Lockhart arrived late to the group of concerned adults, flipping his golden hair out of his face as he caught his breath. The man was more concerned with his hair and the creases he had just noticed in his robes, than the fate of the young, missing witch. As Defence Against the Dark Arts' teacher, it was decided that he should be the one to go and save Ginny Weasley. When Lockhart headed back to his office to prepare for his mission, Harry and Ron followed him to share everything they knew about the beast - information they had obtained thanks to the hard work of Evelyn. The boys knew, if Lockhart was going to have any chance of saving Ginny, he would need to know this information.

Meanwhile, Hermione andDraco had entered the hospital wing with all the items they needed to helpEvie.