Chapter 26

Evie opened her eyes slowly, the warm July sun beaming through the windows was almost too bright to bare. Feeling groggy, she squinted at the light as she tried with enormous effort to sit up slightly in bed. Every bone in her body feeling stiff, the movement in truth, was quite painful, making her wince slightly. 

To her surprise, Madame Pomfrey was standing over her, next to Professor Sprout. It was in that moment that Evie realised they were both looking at her, as if they could see her. Moving her hands in front of her face and flipping them over as if she had never seen them before, she smiled a wide, joyous smile. 

"There she is, our little ray of sunshine," Professor Sprout said softly. As the head of Hufflepuff house sat on the edge of Evie's bed, Madame Pomfrey left they room to carry on with her daily routines. 

"Gave us quite the scare young lady, seems you were the trickiest student to unpetrify," Professor Sprout smiled as she gave Evie a mock scolding look. "No matter, glad you are finally back with us. Just in time to see our your final week of school," she chuckled. 

"Th-The final week?" Evie croaked, sitting up slighty more than she had been before. "It's the final week of school already?" she questioned, not quite believing how much time had passed. 

Professor Sprout had a kind, sympathetic look in her eye. Holding on to Evie's hand she began to speak. "Yes dear, it has been a funny old year." She stood up to leave. "No rush, but when you feel ready, you have a few visitors waiting outside for you. You let us know when they can come in," she smiled. 

"Oh please, can they come in now?" Evie asked gently. 

With a warm smile and a chuckle, professor Sprout headed to the door to let in Evie's visitors. From the sound of things, they had been given a good, stern talking to before they were aloud to enter. Apparently, Madame Pomfrey was just a call away and 'Each and every one of you will be thrown out of this hospital wing before you can say pumpkin juice, if I see or hear any nonsense from you' Evie over heard Professor Sprout saying the the gaggle of visitors in the corridor.

Harry was the first to enter, closely followed by Ginny, Ron Hermione and Draco. "Hey," the group said gently in unison. 

"How are you feeling?" Ron asked. 

"How is she feeling? She was petrified, hardly think she is ready to jump out of bed and go to a ball is she?" Draco quipped sarcastically. 

"Draco!" Evie tilted her head and threw him a look, Draco responded by holding his hands up in surrender. "I'm fine Ron, very groggy but relieved to be back," Evie said softly. 

Ginny, who had placed herself in the armchair next to Evie's bed, was staring at Evie whilst holding her hand tightly. Tears in her eyes, she whispered, "I'm so sorry Evie, it was all my fault!". As the words left her mouth the tears began to fall as she buried her head into the bed.

"Hey Gin," Evie said softly, "Don't be daft, I know it wasn't really your fault, and look -" Evie lifted Ginny's head off the bed to look at her. "- We are both ok. There's no need to cry," She wiped a tear from Ginny's face as she continued, "You can't blame yourself Gin, it wasn't your choice!" Evie stated. 

"If it wasn't for you Evie, we wouldn't have known what that beast was," Hermione said with admiration. 

"Yeah, or how it was getting around," Ron added. 

"And if it hadn't have been for Draco, we might have lost you," Harry stated unexpectedly, making the whole group turn to face him beside Evie. 

Draco looked shocked, Evie smiled. "He has been a good friend to me Harry, I know you both don't get on but," She looked between Harry and Draco, "After everything we've been through, can you try to be civil with each other from now on? For me?" She asked. 

The boys both looked up at each other, it was clear they didn't like each other but both had a certain respect for each other after what had happened. Draco had saved Evie, and Harry had acknowledged this in front of the others. A simple nod was all that was shared between the two. 

"C'mon you lot, I think we have taken up enough of Evie's time, she needs to rest up so that she can join us all for the feast later," Hermione suggested. 

Evie smiled at her, thankful that she had suggested the group retire for now. She didn't want to say it but she was exhausted. If she was to have any hope of leaving the hospital wing today, then she would need her rest, and she was looking forward to having a decent meal. 

As they left, the group gave Evie a hug and wished her a quick recovery. Madame Pomfrey entered the room to run a few tests before she could rest, giving her a big crystal cut glass of bright orange liquid. "Drink up, if you want to leave here this afternoon you'll need to regain your energy," she stated. Evie did as she was told, although the drink tasted disgusting, she drank the entirety of the glass. When finished she popped the glass on the table beside her, and drifted off to sleep.