Chapter 17

Soon it was the start of the new term. Over the holidays Evie had spent a lot of time with Harry and got to know him more. He had told her all about Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon, they sounded truly awful. Evie didn't know how Harry had coped with them. She didn't know how two people who were suppose to love and cherish this poor orphaned boy could be so cruel, it sounded like they were the complete opposite of James and Lily. How could two sister be so different? After hearing of the horrors that he had endured over the years, Evie once again told Harry he must visit her in Yorkshire. He could meet Remus, Lyall and Hope, have dinner and feel the love that she had shared with them over her lifetime. Harry still seemed keen to come to Lupin Lodge over the summer holidays, as long as her adoptive uncle and grandparents were ok with him visiting. 

During their time alone, Harry had informed Evie of how welcoming the Weasley family had been to him, it sounded like they had been there for him in his time of need, especially last summer - freeing him from that awful prison in Little Winching. They were basically his family too, this was obvious from the first time she had met them all in Flourish and Blotts. She had spent a lot of time with the Weasley's over the Christmas holidays, and they were just as accepting of her as they had been with Harry. Ginny had said to her on multiple occasions that she had to visit her at the Burrow during the summer, which Evie was rather excited to do.

Fred and George had been scheming throughout the holidays, their newest prank would be  leaving dung bombs around the school in the new term. They even asked Evie on a few occasions what she thought of she of the pranks, it was nice that they had included her in their plans, some of which included pranking their siblings. 

Hermione had been writing to Harry and Ron all through the holidays, Ron rarely replied but Harry was keen to keep her updated with everything that was going on in the castle. He seemed very close with Hermione, Evie thought it was sweet that Harry had made such good friends her. 

Having spent Christmas over in the Gryffindor common room, Evie decided to throw a New Years Eve party in the Hufflepuff Common room. She had Invited Harry, Ginny and the others from Gryffindor house, along with Draco. However, he politely declined. 

Draco didn't attend the party in Hufflepuff common room but he did help Evie finish off the potion for Remus  the next day. When the potion was ready, he decanted it into little viles that he had charmed with an anti-breaking charm to make sure that none of it was wasted due to the delicate glass smashing. Evie had packaged them carefully with a note for Remus. She wasn't sure how he would react when he got the potions, especially knowing that Evie clearly had to steal the ingredients to make it, but she had explained her reasons for do so and told him that she loved him more times than she ever had done before in the hopes that this would soften his mood. 

Clearly, it had worked. The letter she had received back from him barely even scolded her for her actions and had a more proud, thankful tone. He had told her she was beginning to sound more like her father James, as time went on. "As I feared little one, you may look like the spitting image of your mother, but you have that mischievous streak of your father... Oh the trouble you will cause! As your guardian I must ask you to control that mischievous side, as your Uncle Moony and best friend of your father I say, don't get caught". When Evie read this her heart skipped a little, there was a lot of mischief she could cause, especially if Fred and George had anything to do with it. They were keen to recruit a fellow prankster. 

____________

March 25th

Evie was sat in the great hall with Ginny, both of them unbelievably excited, talking about the house tournament. Dumbledore had announced the competitors a few nights ago over dinner, the girls were thrilled that they had both been chosen to represent their houses. Each house had two first years that would compete in the house tournament, one boy, one girl. Leo had also been chosen to represent Hufflepuff house, along with a boy called David from Gryffindor. Evie didn't know much about David, he was rather quiet and kept to himself. 

Juno and Morgan had been chosen from Ravenclaw, they were twins though you would never know it. The two look nothing alike, Juno was bright blonde with icy blue eyes and tiny freckles that danced over her face. Whereas, Morgan had jet black hair and deep brown brown eyes. It was a good thing Morgan was rather a cheerful person, if he didn't smile as much he would look rather intimidating.

Then there was Rose and Cole from Slytherin house. They weren't easy to read, it seemed they couldn't care less about the tournament. Both of them giving an unpleasant eye roll when they were announced as the representatives for Slytherin. Evie had never spoken to Rose but had sat next to Cole a few times in potions, when Snape would mix up the tables. He seemed alright, not much of a talker but had always been pleasant when engaged in conversation. 

After announcing who the competitors where, Dumbledore then explained that there would be three tasks for them to perform, throughout the remainder of that year. The first task is potion making. No one knew which potion would be chosen until the day of the task, so it was imperative that they memorised a range of them. The second task is charms and the final task would be a duel. 

While eating through a mountain of pancakes, Galahad arrived with a letter for Evie. Once she opened the envelope, the letter burst out of it in a flurry of confetti. Floating in mid air, the letter began to read itself aloud, in Remus' voice. 

"My Darling Evelyn, 

I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of you. Chosen to represent Hufflepuff in the housse tournament, what a clever girl you are!

Grandma and Grandpa are so proud of you too. We know you will do your best, I have no doubt you will take after your mother and blow everyone away with your brilliance. 

Congratulations to you too Ginny, I know your mother and father are also just as proud of you. 

Make sure you both practice, the first task not far away!

Knock 'em dead darling. 

All my love, 

Always! 

Uncle Moony xo

The letter then burst into a million colourful confetti pieces that surrounded Evie and Ginny. IT had caused quite the commotion and lots of people were now staring, but Evie ignored them. She was just happy to have heard Remus' voice, it had been so long since she had last heard it. 

Evie was nearly in tears, it was so thoughtful of Moony to send this letter. She loved that he had also been speaking to the Weasley's , since they had spoken at King's Cross Remus had been in frequent contact with Molly and Arthur. They seemed to get along like old friends. 

Over the next few weeks, Evie would spend any spare time she had memorising the instructions for as many potions as she could. Often she would do this with Ginny and Leo. Most of the time they would in their common room, either Ginny would sneak into Hufflepuff or Leo and Evie would sneak into Gryffindor. 

After hearing that Evelyn had been chosen, Draco offered to help her prepare for the tasks. She was grateful for the help. As much as she loved spending so much time with Ginny and Leo, they rarely managed to stay focused on potions. More often than not, they would sit there chatting, giggling and generally being silly together. So, when Draco offered to help she jumped at the chance. It had to be later at night when his goons were busy having their late night snacks. This did have its advantages, no one was in the library at that time. Evie and Draco were free to be themselves around each other, rather than keeping up appearances for the sake of Draco's reputation. He was a great teacher, regularly testing Evie on her knowledge. She was beginning to feel more prepared for the task ahead. 

One evening, after an early practice with Draco, Evie headed back to her dorm, expecting Ginny to be waiting for her. She wasn't. Evie stayed awake for a little while in the hope that maybe Ginny was just running late. She was often late to their sleep overs, wanting to make sure no one was around, so she couldn't be caught. 

This time it felt different. Evie didn't know why but she had this feeling deep in the pit of her stomach. 

Ginny wasn't coming.