Chapter 12

With everything that had been going on at Hogwarts in recent months, it was no surprise that many students had decided to go home for Christmas. Leo and Addie had gone home leaving Evie, Hallie and Reggie from the first year Hufflepuffs left at the castle. 

Reggie had a turbulent home life, his father was an extremist pureblood and would have all of his children together at Christmas. From what Reggie said, he would often throw an extravagant ball at this time of year. The problem was that he would have to spend the holidays with his half sister Pansy Parkinson, who he despised - not surprising really, she wasn't a very nice person at all. For this reason, he grabbed the opportunity to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas with both hands. 

Hallie on the other hand, usually loved to spend Christmas at home with her family, but this year her parents had decided to go on a Caribbean cruise for the holidays. So, Hallie was staying at Hogwarts for Christmas, something Evie was selfishly glad about. At least she wouldn't be alone in her dorm on Christmas morning. 

Evie had explained to the others that her uncle was 'poorly' because he hadn't had a potion that made him better, so she was having to stay at the castle for the holidays too. 

It was a few days before Christmas, by now most of the students who were going home for the holidays had gone. Evie had hoped she would spend more time with Harry over the break but didn't want to push him too far, he had a lot of drama going on in his life right now. 

22nd December -  

The girls wanted to make an effort for the Christmas dinner that would be hosted in the great hall and figured they ought to practice a new hair styling charm they had read about in the library, before the day arrived. All that work had tired Hallie out, so she had gone up to bed early. 

Evie and Reggie sat in front of the roaring fireplace on the well-worn sofa, in the common room. Evie was nursing a cup of hot chocolate covered in whipped cream, underneath a knitted blanket that she had brought down from her dorm room. It reminded her of the cold nights back at the cottage with her family. As she stared into the fire, tears began to form, as she was realising how much she was missing being at home. Reggie who had been staring at Evie, noticed her shift in mood. 

"Evie," Reggie said gently, "Why doesn't your uncle have his potion?".

Evie turned to face Reggie, slightly shocked at his question but decided to answer him honestly. She wasn't embarrassed about her family, but people, especially wizards can be very judgey, it was difficult to tell people that they weren't very well off. 

"Oh, well erm," Evie hesitated for a moment and then sighed. "My family couldn't afford the ingredients to make the potion that helps him." Looking down into her hot chocolate, Evie took another sip hoping that Reggie wouldn't think any less of her for admitting that. 

"You know, you've become a master of potions over the last few months..." Reggie said casually.

"I wouldn't say a master but I've definitely improved, so have you... What are you getting at Reg?" Evie laughed. 

"Well.." Reggie inched closer to Evie on the sofa so he was sat right at her feet. "Why don't you make the potion for your uncle, here in the castle?"

"What do you mean?" Evie was confused, how could she make it in the castle when she also did not have the ingredients needed... then it clicked. "Oh Reggie, I can't! I dread to think what would happen if Snape caught me stealing from his stores!"

"Oh please, you are his favourite student Evie, everyone knows that! Don't think of it as stealing, more like permanently borrowing without permission," Reggie stated. This made Evie blush a little, it was true. She didn't know why, but Snape was unusually kind to her in comparison to the other students. 

"I'm sure the worst you would get is a detention and a warning not to do it again. Besides, it's for your uncle! Not like you are taking it for yourself, I'm sure Snape wouldn't even know the ingredients were missing!" Reggie continued, hoping he was going to convince Evie. 

"I appreciate the thought Reg, but how on earth would we - FIRST YEARS - pull off a heist like that?" Evie replied. 

"A heist!" Reggie's laughed echoed around the room. "Oh Evie, you are dramatic, I LOVE it! We'd have to carefully plan out the 'heist' "

Evie sat and contemplated the idea for a moment. Reggie was right, out of everyone she was least likely to be in trouble with Snape and it is for Remus. "Fine! I'd like to get it soon, then I can send it home for Remus," she stated matter of factly. 

"Yes, thatta girl! Well, we've learnt the unlocking charm already -" Reggie was interrupted. 

"But you know I'm not very good at the Alohomora charm Reg!" Evie said, exasperated. 

"Hear me out, we will practice it tonight then we will head down the potion stores tomorrow. I will be on the look out for you, to make sure we don't have any unwanted visitors. It'll be easier for you to go into the store room, you do know the ingredients you need?" Reggie questioned. 

"I do, there aren't too many needed... it shouldn't take me too long to get them," Evie was almost getting excited at the prospect of this adventure. 

"Well that settles it then. Tomorrow afternoon while everyone else is busy around the castle we will get those ingredients your uncle needs, it shouldn't be that difficult," Reggie explained. 

"Ok! You'll definitely be on the look out, right?" Evie sounded nervous. 

"Of course!" Reggie proclaimed, putting his left hand across his heart and the other motioning a salute. 

Placing her now empty mug on the floor, Evie brought him in for a tight hug, "Thanks Reg!" 

With a gentle squeeze and a chuckle Reggie replied "No problem Doll! Now come on, let's practice that Alohomora charm, we need you on your A game tomorrow."

The two spent the next hour practicing the charm, Evie hadn't got it perfect but she had managed to complete it successfully more times than she had failed so that was good enough for now. Both of them were beginning to get tired and everyone knows magical charms take concentration for them to work at their best. 

Evie gathered up her knitted blanket, and took herself off to bed. As she lay the blanket down over her quilt, she silently smiled thinking about how she was going to surprise Remus with the potion. She decided she would get enough ingredients to make a big batch for him, so they wouldn't have to worry about buying the ingredients for the next few months. She knew her family might ask questions, but she was doing it for Remus because she loved him like a father. She glanced over to the photo on her bedside table of her and Remus, "I promise you Uncle Moony, I'll make enough to last you the next few months at least. Just please don't be angry with me, I'm doing it because I love you!" she whispered. 

With that, Evie snuggled herself under her blankets and drifted slowly off to sleep, mind still whirling with her plans for the following day.