Chapter 6

After arriving on the platform, the teachers escorted the students up to the castle. The first years were taken across the black lake in a rickety looking boat lead by a tall, hairy man with a thick accent. Once they arrived at the castle, all the other students were taken into the Great Hall while the first years were left to wait just outside. Everyone was buzzing with the excitement of what was coming next, the sorting ceremony. 

The conversation Evie and Ginny had had on the train was beginning to run through Evie's head and she was becoming more nervous by the second. Noticing her change in mood, Ginny slinked her arm around Evie's shoulders. "Don't worry, no matter what house you get, we will still be friends," she said quietly. 

"Do you mean that? I'm so worried I wont be put into Gryffindor," Evie whispered back. Just then, a tall, older looking lady approached the group wearing a beautiful, dark green, velvet robe with a matching hat and half mooned spectacles. "I am Professor McGonagall, head of Gryffindor house," she said proudly before continuing, "I will take you into the Great Hall in a moment, where you will be sorted into your houses. They are: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. I expect each of you to be on your best behaviour and wait patiently for your name to be called." 

Nerves bubbled inside the first years as they slowly approached the doors to the Great Hall, some whispers could be heard from a small group at the back. They were soon silenced as the grand doors swung open and they were met with the faces of every other student who attended Hogwarts. As if it wasn't scary enough being the new kids, they now had to have their sorting ceremony in front of the whole school.

Remus had explained this to Evie and though she was prepared, it didn't make her any less nervous. As they got to the front of the hall, Evie could see the sorting hat. It was just as old and decrepit looking as Remus had described it, it was very likely that this hat had been around since the forming of Hogwarts all those years ago. 

Professor McGonagall began by reading out some names of the first years to come and be sorted. Evie wasn't paying much attention as she was looking around the Great Hall, predominantly at the Gryffindor table in search of her brother. She hadn't seen Harry since that day in Diagon Alley and had hoped to have seen him on the train before her ceremony but he was no where to be found. Similarly, she couldn't see him sat at the Gryffindor table. Evie noticed she also couldn't see Ron either, she had a terrible feeling something might have happened to them. Harry seemed so thrilled to find out he had a sister that day, she found it hard to believe he would miss her sorting ceremony... 

Evie's mind began to trail off on different scenarios that could have happened when her attention was turned back to McGonagall who had said a name she recognised "Ginny Weasley". She watched as her friend took her seat upon the stool on the podium, McGonagall placed the hat gently on Ginny's head. It didn't take long for the sorting hat to place her "GRYFFINDOR!" the hat bellowed. No surprises there. The Gryffindor table erupted in cheers, Fred and George whistling and cheering above all the others. Despite their practical joker persona's, they cared deeply for family and looked so thrilled to have Ginny in Gryffindor with them. 

A few more children were sent to various other houses. A few in Slytherin, a couple in Ravenclaw, there had been four children sorted into Hufflepuff already. Ginny had gained a few more people in Gryffindor too, when finally McGonagall called "Evelyn-Grey Potter". The Great Hall erupted in whispers from every table, "A potter? could it be" one said. "Do you think she is related to Harry?" said another. Evie tried to ignore the whispers and walk up as confidently as she could, giving the hall another quick scan to see if Harry had snuck in while she was preoccupied - he hadn't. 

McGonagall gave her a reassuring smile as she place the hat upon her head. "Ah, Potter, Evelyn - where does one put you? Your brother in Gryffindor, but is that the best place for you? You would do well in Slytherin I think, you're ambitious Yes I can see that... Clever too no doubt, perhaps Ravenclaw would be best suited," the hat continued to talk, listing attributes that Evie had and why these would mean she would be best suited in different houses. Though she was nervous, she was more worried about Harry, 'where could he be?' 'why isn't he here, I need to find him, make sure he's ok' she thought. Suddenly, the sorting hat began to speak louder, pulling Evie from her thoughts "Even now, in a moment as important as this for you, you think of another. You're loyalty and value in friendships and family are astonishing, I know exactly where you put you," the hat paused. 

"HUFFLEPUFF!" it shouted loudly for everyone to hear. The table of Hufflepuffs were shocked and excited to be gaining their own Potter, hoping she would be just as spectacular as her brother but without his troublesome nature. Evie was shocked, she didn't quite know how to feel about this, she had been hoping for Gryffindor along with Harry and Ginny. She had no family who had ever been sorted into Hufflepuff. As she slowly walked towards the Hufflepuff table she glanced at Ginny who gave her a sad smile, knowing they wouldn't be able to sit up talking for hours in the common room like they had planned. Evie sat down and smiled to the others as they welcomed her to her house, a few pats on the back from the older students and beaming smiles from the first years, who had also been sorted into Hufflepuff. 

The last few children were being sorted into their houses, but Evie couldn't focus on them. She had a whirl wind of emotions running through her head. Wondering if Uncle Moony and her family would be disappointed that she didn't make it into Gryffindor, she made a mental note to write to them once she got to her dorm.

After the ceremony was done, the tables were filled with some of the most delicious food Evie had ever seen. There was so much of it, she had never seen so much food. The thoughts of Harry began to melt away as she now realised how hungry she actually was. Digging in to some chicken and veg, light conversation flowed across the Hufflepuff table as the first years quietly began to introduce themselves. 

Hallie Walton was the first to introduce herself "I'm Half-blood, my mums a muggle, dads a wizard. I can't believe I am meeting a Potter!!". She was a very short, blonde girl with icy blue eyes and a large, wide grin. Her long, wavy hair perfectly framing her face, bounced every time she turned her head. Hallie gestured to the brown haired girl sat next to her, so that she could introduce herself next. Evie could see that Hallie was quite bold, she liked that about her. 

The brown haired girl looked up at Evie and the rest of the group. She had soulful brown eyes, which looked warm and comforting. They reminded Evie of her Grandma Hope. When you looked closely, you could see the brown-eyed girl had caramel streaks running through her hair. Despite her delicate facial features and shy persona, she spoke with confidence. "I'm Addison Jones, but everyone calls me Addie!" she stated. "I'm Pureblood, but me and my family really dont care about that sort of thing" said waving her hand in the air as if to swoosh the words 'pureblood' out of the air. 

Looking from Addie to Hallie, Evie couldn't help but think that if the trio were to stand up together they would look just like Charlie's Angels. An old, muggle programme that she caught glimpses of, as her Grandma Hope would watch it in their front room on evenings when Grandpa Lyall and Uncle Moony were out and about on Ministry business. This thought brought a small smile to Evie's face. She decided she would introduce herself next.

She cleared her throat to begin talking and she could hear the dulling of conversations further up her table, as people quietened down to hear what she had to say. "I'm Evelyn-Grey Potter but most people call me Evie," she paused taking a breath. She knew she had to explain herself and that most people had a lot of questions. "I'm Half-blood... and yes I am Harry's little sister," she paused again as a few people along her table whispered "Potter has a sister?" as well as others gasping in shock. She didn't realise that so many people didn't know she existed, and she wasn't quite sure how she felt about it. "I know most of you are shocked about that," she looked across to the Gryffindor table - still no sign of Harry. "Harry didn't know until recently either," a sad smile pulled at Evie's face as she turned back around to those on her table. 

An older boy leant across from his friends, who were now whispering about the new information they had just heard, to speak to Evie. "Well Evie, I for one am glad to have you here in Hufflepuff. Harry's sister or not, it is nice to have a Potter in our ranks. I'm Cedric Diggory Pureblood," the boy nodded and then continued with his own conversation. 

After that conversations began to flow among the students as they finished off their meals. Once they had finished they headed off towards their common room, which was neatly tucked away near the school kitchens. As soon as they arrived, the first years were shown to their dorm rooms, where their luggage was waiting for them, ready to be unpacked. After putting her clothes away and setting the picture of her and Remus ( the one he had got for her birthday) on her bedside table, Evie got into her pyjamas and tucked herself into bed. Luckily, she was sharing her room with Hallie and Addie the two girls she had met earlier at the sorting ceremony. All three of them were so tired, they had decided to go straight to bed ready for their first day tomorrow.